Berries are in season and a time for summer salads. Dr. Furman’s 6 week plan focuses on raw vegan food. At the center of the plan is salad; a lot of salad.
Furman’s plan suggests a large salad be eaten FIRST at lunch and dinner. In order to successfully do this, it is necessary to be creative. I had to make sure to make different types of salads with a variety of dressings, so we didn’t get bored. Although we always ate a lot of salad, eating it every day, twice a day was an initial challenge.
Although simple in terms of ingredients, this salad packs a ton of flavor. Popeye was obviously onto something. Low in calories, spinach is important for skin and hair, bone health, and provides protein, iron, vitamins and minerals. Furman praises spinach for its ability to lower the risk of cancer and blood pressure.
My salad uses spinach as the base, in place of lettuce. Spinach paired with berries provides vibrant colors. Its hearty and filling, and contains less water than Romaine lettuce. Blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries are true super foods.
Although sweet, berries are low in sugar and high in nutrients. Furman’s plan also allows for a small amount of nuts, so pecans make a great accompaniment to the fresh fruit and spinach. The red onion adds another dimension to the salad.
A red wine vinegar based dressing compliments the berries. The acidic component of the vinegar mixed with the naturalness of the berries makes for a beautiful marriage. The tanginess of the dijon mustard adds another level to the dressing. You don’t need any oil. With very few ingredients, you can make a wonderful fat-free dressing.Print
Popeye was right; spinach is a super food. Add berries and some pecans, and you have a simple superfood salad.
- 1 pound Organic Spinach
- 1 sliced Red Onion
- 1/2 cup sliced Organic Strawberries
- 1/2 cup Organic Blueberries
- 1/2 cup Organic Blackberries
- 1/2 cup Pecans
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Dark Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup
LAYER SALAD INGREDIENTS
- Place spinach in the base of the bowl.
- Place half of the red onion slices around the spinach.
- Add half the strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries.
- Add half the pecans and place them the center.
- Add all ingredients to a bottle or contains with a seal (you may also blend)
- Shake vigorously until completely mixed.
- Pour desired amount of dressing on salad.