Creamy Butternut Squash and Potato Soup is savory and delicious! Although I love this soup all winter long, it is perfect for Thanksgiving as well.
First, I made this soup in the crockpot, so you literally put five ingredients in the crock pot, and let it cook while you prepare the rest of your dinner. Butternut squash is very sweet, but combining baking potatoes, onions and shallots, makes the sweet turn savory.
Since the whole soup brews in the crockpot, you can start it in the morning, and not worry about it until a few minutes before you serve dinner. Or, you can make it ahead and keep it warm while you prepare the rest of the meal.
In order to make it fancy, you need some pistachios, fresh sage and some cashew cream. Again, the process is simple with very few ingredients.
If you are interested in an inexpensive and easy soup that tastes like it came from a 5 star restaurant, give this soup a try.Print
Stay warm this season and try this creamy, savory butternut squash and potato soup. Ladle up some comfort food and simmer up some love.
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 large butternut squash (approximately 1 1/4 pounds), chopped into equal size chunks
- 3 medium baking potatoes, skin removed, and cut into equal chunks
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- I Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 can lite coconut milk (do not add until after cooking)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 /4 cup water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
- 1/4 cup fest sage, chopped
- In a 6-7 quart crock pot, add all ingredients except the coconut milk.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low
- Add 1 can lite coconut milk
- Using in hand emulsion blender to blend soup inside crock pot. You can also blending a blender in small batches.
- Blend until smooth
- Ladle soup into bowls
- Using a squeeze bottle or a spoon, drizzle cashew cream
- Using a fork, swirl into the bowl
- Add chopped pistachios and copped sage
Keywords: soup, butternut squash, potatoes, savory, crockpot, oil free, vegan