When the weather gets chilly, I love to make my husbands favorite comfort food, Creamy Spicy Vegan Sausage Pasta.
Although we all love comfort food, it usually comes with a price. In fact, most of us avoid comfort foods, because they are generally high in calories and full of fat. On the contrary, eating creamy spicy vegan sausage pasta is anything but delicious and low fat.
Despite my husband's love of vegan sausage, I can take it or leave it. But, from time to time, I indulge him and make a dish that he loves despite the addition of vegan sausage.
First, creamy spicy vegan sausage pasta can be made with or without the vegan sausage, and it tastes exactly the same. So, what I did was add the vegan sausage for those who wanted it, and I left the rest without.
Also, I found another fabulous gluten-free penne pasta I have to share. Again, this pasta cooked perfectly according to the directions, and it didn't have the thick fluid typical of gluten-free pastas.
For Creamy Spicy Vegan Sausage Pasta, I used Andrean Dream Organic Penne Pasta with Turmeric; made with brown rice, quinoa and amaranth.Not only is it gluten-free, is is vegan, kosher, corn free and tastes GREAT!
If you are looking for a quick mid-week meal, creamy spicy vegan sausage pasta takes 20 minutes from start to finish, with very few ingredients. And, if you don't like vegan sausage, just skip it.
Creamy Spicy Vegan Sausage Pasta
- 8 ounces Penne Pasta of choice I used [Andean Dream Penne Pasta]
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms I used baby portobello
- ½ cup yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces Field Roast Plant Based Mexican Chipotle Sausage 3 links, cut in half lengthwise and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 Tablespoons brown rice flour or flour of choice
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth + additional to sauté vegetables
- 15 ounces organic diced fire roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup raw cashews soaked overnight if possible (not necessary, but will need to blend more if not soaked)
- ¾ cup water
- 1 adobo chili pepper
- Garnish with parsley or thyme I used thyme
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a teaspoon of salt to the water.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In a high speed blender combine drained cashews, 1 adobe pepper, and ¾ cup water.
- Blend until smooth.
- While pasta is cooking, add onions and garlic until translucent..
- Add sausage and cook for several minutes until browned.
- Add the mushrooms. Sauté for a couple of minutes, and add vegetable broth if the vegetables are sticking.
- Add the flour to the skillet and whisk into the sausage/vegetable mixture.
- Allow it to cook off for one minute and add a small amount of vegetable broth.
- Whisk again.
- Slowly add the organic vegetable broth and tomatoes to the skillet.
- Whisk in cashew/adobe cream
- Bring mixture to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes – or until it is slightly thickened.
- Add drained pasta and sausage to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Taste and add salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to your liking. (I didn't have to add any salt, or any additional seasoning)
- Top with fresh herbs and serve.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂