In order to master the perfect Vegan Mexican Street Corn, there is a trick that shortens the process. First, marinating the corn with lime juice, garlic, hot sauce, and cilantro in a plastic bag is the trick. When I bring my corn home from the market, I immediately remove the husks, and clean off the silt. Then, I place it in a large Ziplock bag and add 1/4 cup lime juice, 1.4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, a few dashes of hot sauce, and 3 minced garlic cloves, and shake it all about.
Although I usually marinate overnight, all you need is a half hour or so. Then, prepare the toppings: spicy cashew cream, chopped cilantro, chopped red onions, and vegan parmesan. If you love vegan parmesan as much as I do, make a large amount and keep it in the refrigerator. It can be used on a multitude of dishes, such as pasta, pizza, and just about any other dish.
Furthermore, grilling the corn gives it an added richness, and a little charring helps elevate the flavors. In order to give my family a chance to join in the cooking, I serve the toppings on the side, so everyone can create their own masterpieces.
Spice up your corn on the cob, and make it fancy and fun for the family. Marinating, grilling, and topping your corn brings out the depths of the flavors of summer corn.
Vegan Parmesan: (Tip: triple the recipe and store in the refrigerator for other dishes)
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Spicy Cashew Cream:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight); or skip this step (just blend longer)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 6–8 cobs of corn (husks removed), rinsed
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 3 dashes hot sauce of choice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large Ziplock Bag
Toppings: (Put in separate dishes)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
- Additional hot sauce on the side
- Vegan parmesan
- Spicy cashew cream
- Clean corn
- Place corn, lime juice, cilantro, and hot sauce in a large plastic Ziplock bag
- Shake it up, and refrigerate overnight or at least for 30 minutes
- Preheat the grill to medium
- Remove corn from bag and place on the grill
- Cook, rotating the corn for 15 minutes; avoiding charring by rotating
- Place raw cashews (DO NOT SOAK) in a food process and pulse until powdery
- Remove from food processor, and add seasonings, stir.
Spicy Cashew Cream:
- Drain cashews or use raw cashews (if you do not soak them, you have to blend longer, or you need to add more water)
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and blend in a high speed blender.
- Place it a dish to spread on corn
- Chop topping and place in individual dishes for serving.
Keywords: grilled corn, corn on the cob, vegan, Mexican street corn, Spicy cashew cream, vegan parmesan