When I want to make sure I get all my greens and feel like I ate a hearty meal, I make a harvest salad with Pumpkin Vinaigrette. Not only is the dressing oil-free, the combination of apples, roasted sweet potatoes but red onions and pecans also bring the whole salad together. And, I added Grilled Maple & Stone Ground Mustard Tofu, which is optional of course.
I order to meal prep and make the harvest salad ahead of time, I used kale and Romaine lettuce for the base of my salad. For instance, kale and Romaine lettuce are highly nutrient-dense, which makes for a healthy salad.
First, kale absorbs the flavors of the dressing and other ingredients. So, I usually make Kale salads in advance and use my hands to manage the dressing into the kale. Not only does this make the kale softer, but it also enhances the flavor of the kale and the Pumpkin Vinaigrette.
HOW DO I MAKE A HEARTY NUTRIENT-DENSE HARVEST SALAD?
First, you can choose your greens, which there is a vast selection to choose from. Harvest salad, however, has the following ingredients:
- Romaine lettuce
- English cucumber
- Red onion
- Honey Crisp apples
- Grape tomatoes
- Roasted or raw pecans
- Skinny Roasted Pumpkin Vinaigrette
- Grilled Maple & Stone Ground Mustard Tofu
HOW TO PRESS AND COOK TOFU FOR A HARVEST SALAD?
One suggestion, when preparing tofu, is to use a quality, inexpensive tofu press. For example, my E-Z tofu press has never failed to help me press my tofu. Not only is it inexpensive, but the E-Z Tofu Press is also better than wasting a bunch of paper towels when trying to press with a heavy object.
TOFU FOR HARVEST SALAD
- Press and drain tofu according to these directions The Perfect Pressed Tofu for Grilling, Baking, or Cooking in a Skillet
MARINADE INGREDIENTS AND HOW TO MARINATE
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup grainy stone-ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 3 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- Add ingredients to a bowl or 2 cups glass measuring cup
- Whisk all ingredients together
- Cut tofu in half making two large squares, approximately 1 inch each in width
- Cut each side 3 or 4 times, making long 6 or 8 inch strips
- Now, place tofu in an airtight container
- Pour marinade over the tofu
- Refrigerate for at least an hour (I prefer overnight)
CHOOSE YOUR COOKING METHOD: (PICK ONE BELOW)
- Pre-heat grill to 400 or medium-low
- You can place the marinated tofu directly on the grill or I use a grill basket
- Grill for 4 minutes rotating 4 times (total of 16 minutes)
- Let cool slightly
BAKED VERSION (If you don’t have a grill)
- Follow the same directions for marinating
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Place tofu pieces on a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mats; I used my copper crisper pan
- Dip the marinated tofu on each side with cornstarch
- Place large pieces into a grill basket, not touching each other
- Cook on 370 for 10 minutes
- Open the basket and turn large tofu pieces over
- Bake for 10 more minutes
TIPS FOR MAKING A GREAT HARVEST SALAD
- Roasted sweet potatoes are easy to make if you cut the pieces into similar sizes.
- In order to keep chopped apples from turning brown, but the apples in advance, add fresh lemon juice and store in an air-tight container.
- If you want a different option for dressing, an alternative dressing is Harvest Quinoa Salad with Smokey Maple Dijon Dressing.
- Another possibility is to add No Oil Roasted Pumpkin Seeds.
HOW TO MAKE OIL-FREE PUMPKIN VINEGARETTE
- 1 cup roasted fresh pumpkin or 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
SALADS, SALADS AND MORE SALAD RECIPES…
- Lentil Salad
- Tabouli Salad
- Vegan Taco Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- Vegan Quinoa Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad
- Fattoush Salad
- Skinny Vegan Rainbow Salad
- Quinoa Greek Salad with OMG Oil-Free Dressing
- Skinny Vegan Caesar Salad
- Broccoli Curry Crunch Salad