WHAT IS CHIMICHURRI SAUCE?
Chimichurri is an Argentinian sauce and condiment used as a sauce or condiment for meat, fish, and vegetables. Typically, chimichurri sauce is flavorful with flavor with an acidic tang. Although chimichurri sauce is traditionally not cooked, it can also be used as a marinade.
Since I have an herb garden in my yard, year-round, I am spoiled to have fresh parsley and cilantro whenever I want it. Even though chimichurri sauce is traditionally a grilling sauce, it has a multitude of uses throughout the year.
So, if it's BBQ season or the snow is knee-deep, where you live, chimichurri sauce brings bland food to life.
WHAT DOES CHIMICHURRI SAUCE TASTE LIKE?
Because chimichurri sauce is made with fresh ingredients, it tastes zesty and sassy! With its strong garlic, cilantro and parsley flavors, it smells like a fresh herb garden.
HOW DO I MAKE AN OIL-FREE CHIMICHURRI SAUCE?
Not only is chimichurri sauce easy to make, but it also doesn't require cooking at all. Instead, you simply put all the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend slightly.
- Fresh Parsley
- Fresh Cilantro
- Pure Maple Syrup
- Lime Juice
Similar to other sauces and marinades, chimichurri sauce gets better as it sits in the refrigerator absorbing all the flavors. When planning meals, its best to make chimichurri sauce ahead of time, but it can also be used immediately.
DIFFERENT WAYS TO USE CHIMICHURRI SAUCE
Since chimichurri sauce is so easy to make, it is a great way to give your recipes a little fancy flare. In order to turn your boring food into a magical experience use it on a ton of different recipes.
- Use it as a marinade for roasted potatoes.
- Serve on the side of Steak Fries and use it as a dipping sauce instead of ketchup.
- Stir in some Skinny Vegan Cashew Mayo and use it as a sandwich spread
- Add it as a topper to a soup like Skinny Cream of Tomato Soup or Vegan Carrot Soup.
- Use the sauce on your favorite taco recipe instead of salsa, such as Sweet Potato Tacos or Mushroom Chorizo Tacos.
- Serve as a dip or sauce from grilled roasted vegetables.
- Make it dressing for a salad by adding an additional avocado and blending it until it's smooth, rather than chunky.
- Use it as a topper for a Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potato, Chili and Lime Roasted Red Potatoes, or Lentil and Tahini Twice Baked Potatoes.
- Use it for a Vegetable Panini w/ Vegan Pesto Artichoke
- Mix the sauce into a Vegan Coleslaw with Avocado-Cilantro
- Use it as a base for a macaroni or pasta salad instead of vegan mayo
- Serve it on the side or on top of roasted vegetables.
- Spread on a loaf of bread and bake or grill for an herbal garlic bread recipe
- Serve on the side with Steak Fries Air Fried and Crispy or Skinny AF Sweet Potato Fries instead of ketchup.
- Use as a marinade for roasted potatoes.
How to Make Chimichurri Sauce
- ¾ cup fresh parsley
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ medium avocado
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons water
- In a small food processor bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Blend until somewhat smooth.
It is not "smoothy smooth." It has chunks of herbs, which is what it is supposed to look like.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂