In order to make an incredible SUPERFOOD Salad, you first need to bunch of kale. Not only is kale one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet, it also is high in protein, fiber, and Folate. I like to call it 'brain food.'
Although I try to eat kale at least once a week, what I choose to add to it makes or breaks the salad. For instance, I added red quinoa, tomatoes, red peppers, jalapeños, avocado, red onion, pinto beans and grilled corn for southwestern flavors.
Another benefit of this salad is the cumin citrus dressing. Not only is it low in fat, it is smokey and tangy all at the same time. Kale, when dressed beforehand, is easier to digest and enjoy.
So, this southwestern salad is better if made in advance. Subsequently, the only ingredients that need to be added before serving is the avocado. Other than that, this salad is easy to make and even better to eat.
Kale and Quinoa Southwestern Salad with Cumin Citrus Dressing
- 1 large bunch kale I used Curly, approximately 8 cups, stem removed chopped
- 2 cups cooked red quinoa you can also use white
- 1 large red onion cut into slivers
- 15 ounces pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno peppers seeds removed and chopped
- 2 ears fresh corn on the cob grilled, kernels cut from the cob
- 15 grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1 Avocado chopped (do not cut until ready to serve)
- ¼ cup raw cashews soaked overnight if time permits; or blend longer if time doesn't permit
- ¼ lemon juice juice of 2 lemons
- 6 Tablespoons water
- 3 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Apple cider Vinegar
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 clove garlic
- Grill 2 ears of corn on the grill (I had 2 leftover, or you can use cooked frozen corn, or canned corn)
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Cool before adding to salad.
- Remove stems from kale
- Chop kale into small bite sized pieces
- Place Kale in a bowl
- Add sliced red onion, pinto beans, red pepper, jalapeños, tomatoes, and corn
- Put all ingredients in a high speed blender
- Blend until smooth
Putting it Together:
- Pour dressing over kale and all other ingredients.
- Toss until completely coated
- Cover and refrigerate
- Right before serving, add cut up avocado to the top of each salad
- Option: Drizzle with Sriracha
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂