It’s “Crocktober,” and time to make veggie soups and stews as the chilly weather sets in. Although we moved to Arizona, October brings cooler nights.
We are all busy, and my crock pot is clearly one of my favorite appliances. Although I have an instant pot, I prefer the crock pot because my soups and stews can brew and cook slowly, and I can leave for the whole day without worrying about dinner.
Despite the time it takes to cook soup in the crock pot, the preparation time for this soup is incredible fast. Not only will you have dinner when you get home, you will have several days of lunches you can pack up in advance.
First, save some time and buy a mixed bag of frozen, organic vegetables. First, look for a bag that contains a variety of vegetables; the bag I bought had lima beans, carrots. peas, green beans, and corn. Then, think about what else you want to add.
Second, I added fresh potatoes and onions and a few other ingredients, and I was out the door for the day with dinner waiting when I got home. In order to get the perfect thick and rich broth and perfect seasonings, follow the directions below.
Remember, you can also add spices, salt and pepper after the fact. So, always use caution with spices.Print
This incredibly tasty and thick soup with a rich tomato broth is full of veggies and brown rice. It cooks while you work!
- 2 yellow onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 2 large baking potatoes, cubed (leave skin on)
- 1 pound frozen mixed organic vegetables
- 2 cans Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf (remove prior to eating)
USING A 7 QUART CROCK POT (or larger)
- Scrub, and cube potatoes ( I used my FAVORITE Chopper Mueller Vegetable Chopper which chops everything in uniform size)
- Chop onions the same size as the potatoes
- Using 1 can of Muir Glen Roasted tomatoes; blend in a cup measuring sup with 1/2 cup water
- Add potatoes, onions and all other ingredients, EXCEPT THE RICE, in the crock pot.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low
- 10 minutes before serving, add the cooked brown rice
- Remove bay leaf
Keywords: vegan, oil free, vegetables, soup,