Need a quick and easy dinner? Quick and Easy Spicy Vegan Jambalaya is for you.
Although food and food preparation is very important to me, there are evenings when life gets in the way of food prepared from scratch.
Last night was one of those nights. When time is limited, we all need to improvise. So, I decided to make a hearty vegan meal , but it needed to be one I could throw together quickly.
I am not a fan of “fake meat.” I didn’t like meat when I wasn’t vegan, so eating fake meat that tastes like meat doesn’t do much for me. Paul, my husband, despite jumping on the vegan healthy bandwagon, does miss it from time to time. In an effort to choose a meal that would make both of us happy, I opted for Jambalaya. I can easily add vegan sausage to his and leave mine without any. He likes the Field Roast Mexican Chipotle Sausages. The spice is consistent with the Jambalaya, so I add it for him.
A lot of products are vegan we may not know are vegan. ZATARAINS Jambalaya Mix is the perfect vegan rice mixture to make fancy.
For a quick and easy meal, opt for a simple and easy meal ready in 30 minutes. It all goes it one pan, so clean up is a breeze.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Jalapeno, deveined and seeds, chopped
- 1 can Rotel spicy tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, cleaned and diced
- 1 family sized box ZATARAINS Jambalaya Mix + 3 cups of Water indicated on directions of box (unless another amount is indicated)
- 2 Field Roast Vegan Mexican Chipotle Sausages (or Apple Wood; you pick), sliced and then pieces cut in half. (do not cut if you are grilling; if sautéing in a pan, cut before you sauté.
- Sliced Avocado
- Sliced Jalapeños
- Saute garlic,onion, bell pepper and jalapeno in a saute pan until onions are translucent.
- Add Rotel tomatoes and stir
- Add 3 cups water and rice mixture; bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer, and cover, cooking for 25 minutes.
- While the rice blend cooks, grill the whole field roast sausages on medium heat , rotating until done. If you grill the sausage, cut them into pieces after they cool. You can also sauté the pieces in a pan if more convenient.
- Cool sausages slightly.
- When rice mixture is done, stir, and add sausage for those who wish to eat the vegan sausage.
- This is GREAT without any sausage at all.
- Serve with sliced Avocados and Jalapeños (optional)