Creamy potato soup doesn’t need almond milk, oil and butter to make it savory and delicious.
First, potatoes are a wonder vegetable, because the starch in the potato makes it absorb the herbs and spices you add to the soup.
Despite the belief creamy soups need cream to be creamy, you can make a creamy, savory soup using only vegetables and vegetable broth. Although creamy and delicious, this soup is low in calories.
When you take a bite of Savory Herb Creamy Potato Leek Soup, you feel like you are cheating and eating a thick, savory and fattening soup. In reality, you are eating vegetables and only vegetables.
This recipe makes 6 servings; I make it on the weekend, and it heats up well to take to work. Furthermore, you can freeze this soup as well. Just make sure you thaw it prior to reheating,
Fall is on its way, so get ready for a plethora of soups and stews to warm your bodies and make your heart skip a beat.
You won’t believe it is made with all veggies! Try it; you’ll love it.Print
Savory, filling and full of warmth and goodness, this soup with fulfill your comfort food desires.
- 1 Large white onion, chopped
- 2 Large leeks, cleaned, trimmed, and chopped (leeks are a very dirty veggie, so make sure you slice them down he middle and wash the layers)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 regular sized baking potatoes, washed, skin on; slice into equal bite sized pieces
- 2 cups Frozen Ore Ida Diced Hash Brown Potatoes; or two cups more chopped baking potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped chives (reserve 1/4 cup to put on soup after it is cooked to serve)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 8 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté garlic, chopped leeks, and onions garlic powder and onion powder for 10 minutes or until brown
- I wash the potatoes before I cook them and after. I do this to make sure all the dirt is removed, so it doesn’t become part of the soup. I leave the skin on because of the vitamins and minerals, but I don’t want to eat dirt
- Add 4 cups of organic vegetable broth; boil
- Add the potatoes and cover with another 4 cups of organic vegetable broth and boil again
- Turn down to simmer and add the remaining herbs and spices
- Do not cover
- Cook for 30 minutes; uncovered until potatoes are soft
- Using an emulsion blender, blend the soup until all the leeks, onions, and potatoes are thick and creamy. You should not have chunks
- Now, add the frozen potato chunks or additional fresh potatoes. If you use frozen potatoes, cook for another 20 minutes on simmer; if you are using fresh potatoes you will need to simmer for 60 minutes.
- Serve in soup cups with fresh chives on top (the extra you reserved)
Keywords: potatoes, leeks, savory soup, soup, vegan, vegan soup, oil free, vegan