Broccoli, cranberries, and coconut bacon oh my……This tangy, savory salad will have your kids begging for broccoli.
- 4 Crowns of Broccoli washed, with the core removed.
- 1 large red onion, diced.
- 2 celery stalks, washed and diced
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup Vegan Coconut Bacon (Other options) Bacos (did you know they are vegan)? Or use tempeh bacon bits
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon Apple cider Vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
- 3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 3 Tablespoons Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke
30 MINUTES PRIOR TO COOKING
- In an airtight container, add coconut and all other ingredients
- Put the top on the container
- Place in refrigerator for a minimum of 10 minutes, ideally 30 minutes, or overnight if planning ahead
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350
- On a cookie sheet, cover with parchment paper
- Remove coconut mixture from the refrigerator
- Give it one last shake, and using the top drain any excess fluid
- Place a single layer of marinated coconut on the cookie sheet
- Use a spatula to spread a single layer, attempting to reduce a thick layer
- Place in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven; using a spatula, flip and move bacon around pan, still maintaining a single layer
- Cook another ten minutes
- Remove from oven and let cook completely.
- Prepare the broccoli. Cut the core from each head of broccoli. (My dogs love the core; they actually cry for it, so waste not, want not).
- I washed my broccoli in my steamer basket to save a step.
- Steam the broccoli for 10 minutes. It is recommended to steam it for 14 or 15 minutes, but that is too much. You want it al Dante.
- As soon as the broccoli is done, immediately transfer it to an ice bath to stop it from cooking.
- Now, take the broccoli and place it on paper towel to drain the excess water.
- Chop broccoli bite sized pieces
- Put broccoli, onions, celery, dried cranberries, and Vegan Coconut Bacon in a large mixing bowl.
- In a blender, blend all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Set aside
PUTTING IT TOGETHER:
- Pour the dressing on the broccoli mixture and mix well.
- Put in the dressed salad in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator.
*The ingredients need to meld, so leave overnight and then mix before serving.
Keywords: salad, broccoli, coconut bacon, vegan bacon, cranberries, oil-free, vegan, plant-based