Fat-free, Gluten-free, Spicy Baked Onion Rings. No guilt with the real crunch of onions rings. What else could you ask for?
- 3 large yellow onions, sliced and inner circles separated (1/8 inch slices)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup flour (I used almond flour), but you can use any flour you choose
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup plain Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 3 teaspoons garlic salt
- 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper (skip this if you don’t want the spice)
- Cut onions and separate all the inner circles of each onion slice; place in a microwave safe container
- Generously salt and toss with your hands
- Cook in the microwave for 5 minutes covered with a paper towel to prevent splatter
- Rinse onions in water several times, and drain well.
- Place on paper towels and pat dry; leave on the paper towels
- Take two separate deep bowls
- Using a single cup blender, combine almond milk, nutritional yeast, and flour. Blend until smooth. It will resemble pancake batter.
- Then, using a second bowl, combine bread crumbs, corn meal, garlic salt and cayenne (if you like it spicy). Mix contents of this bowl with a fork
- Begin dipping onions, first in the almond milk batter, then in the bread crumb mixture, making sure the bread crumbs adhere to the onions, and place on a silicone lined or parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Place onions on the cookie sheet making sure not to put them on top of each other for even cooking.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until brown
- I served with organic ketchup, but you may dip in any dip you like