Grilled sandwiches have a savory component that just doesn’t have the appeal of a cold sandwich. The crunch of the grilled bread and the ingredients chosen for the inside of the sandwich is important to achieve the perfect sandwich.
Many times, the leftovers in your refrigerator you have no idea what to do with make the best creations. My son used to open the refrigerator and say, “all there is in here are ingredients.” That’s what happens when you have fresh, unprocessed food in the house, which requires a little ingenuity and creativity. Apparently, mom knows how that’s done, or maybe he just wants me to cook for him. It is probably the latter. Boys!
I had half a cauliflower head left from the bowl I made the other night, and I had some fresh pineapple. That was all it took for the light to go off in my head; I decided to make a BBQ cauliflower wrap with pineapple. BBQ and pineapple are a perfect combination, add some fresh veggies and a grilled wrap, and the creation was made.
Although you can make this same sandwich in a pan, I love my Cuisinart Panini Maker. It makes the perfect sandwich every time.Print
For a quick and easy sandwich, this BBQ Cauliflower Wrap with peppery Arugula with the sweet taste of pineapple and red onion is just the cure for a hard day at work.
- 1/2 cauliflower head, florets only
- 1/8 cup your favorite BBQ sauce ( I used Annies)
- 1/4 cup fresh pineapple
- 1 handful arugula
- 4 slices red onion
- 3 sliced tomato, cut in half
- 1 vegan wrap (I like the ones from Whole Foods)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Roast cauliflower on a silicone baking sheets for 30 minutes
- Pre-heat panini maker
- When cauliflower is done roasting, place in a bowl and toss with BBQ sauce
- Place wrap on a flat surface and layer your ingredients, like this:
- Put the arugula down first; it acts as a moisture blocker so your wrap won;t get soggy and break.
- Pull up the sides first and roll, pushing the ingredients inside.
- Grill for 15 minutes on medium.
- Cut and serve