As many of you know, I love my savory food. In fact, I have never met a french fry, nacho, or pizza I don't love. So, in order to satisfy my cravings, I 'veganize' my favorite savory food like skinny vegan potato skins.
For example, skinny vegan potato skins are easy to make, and they can be done without oil and fattening additions. First, all you need is baking potatoes, and your favorite toppings. When I make my favorite potato skins, I use my Skinny Nacho “Cheese” Sauce, and my Vegan Coconut Bacon. I also like to add avocado and jalapeños.
Vegan Coconut Bacon
Although the toppings are endless, you can really create any skinny vegan potato skins; just remember the healthiness is all in the toppings. For instance, you could add vegan chili, diced tomatoes, Skinny Girl Vegan Sour Cream, and cilantro. Sometimes, I top with salsa and guacamole.
Despite what you choose to top your skinny vegan potato skins with, the process of making them is easy. All you have to do is bake the potatoes, and carefully remove the flesh from inside the potatoes.
Additionally, the flesh you remove can be used for Skinny Miso Vegan Mashed Potatoes, or the topping for a shepherd's pie.
Hollow out baked potato halves and use the potato flesh for mashed potatoes
If you love potato skins, try my Vegan Guilt Free Potato Nachos…A Game Day Treat!
Or try my Taco Tuesday Skinny Potato Tacos!
Skinny Potato Skins
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Clean potatoes and pierce with a knife a few times in one side of the potato
- Bake for 1 hour
- When potatoes cool are cool enough to the touch, cut them in half lengthwise
- Using a spoon, gently remove 95% of the potato flesh from each side of the potato
- Put the potato flesh in a second bowl. You can use potato flesh for Skinny Miso Vegan Mashed Potatoes or potato pancakes.
- Prepare a baking pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat
- Place the potato skins open side up
- Add toppings you want served hot inside; reserving the cold toppings for after they come out of the oven
- Place pan back into 400 degree oven for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven, add cold toppings to the top.
- Serve with salsa, Skinny Girl Vegan Sour Cream, or any of your favorite toppings.
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂