Although my Greek grandmother’s food was fabulous, it was never vegan. In fact, I don’t think she would mind me veganizing her food to be healthier. So, with that being said, vegan taziki is not only possible, it tastes exactly like my grandma’s.
Last night I decided to make a Skinny Gyro Bowl with Lentils, and everything I love in a gyro wrap. Instead of regular yogurt sauce, I made a simple sauce using a handful of ingredients.
First, I like Kite Hill Plain Almond Milk Yogurt. Sometimes, finding plain vegan yogurt is a challenge where I live, so I usually have to go to Whole Foods or shop on Amazon. Even though you can use any type of plain vegan yogurt, you just need to make sure it is plain, without any flavor.
Secondly, you need to make sure you use English cucumbers. To avoid a watery sauce, it is important to dice the cucumbers, and allow them to drain on a paper towel while you prepare the rest of the sauce.
While your cucumber loses most of its moisture (about 10 minutes), cut the onion, and measure the other ingredients. Furthermore, using fresh lemon juice and dill makes the sauce fresher.
If you have extra sauce, it will last up to a week in the refrigerator. Additionally, you can put it on a sandwich, serve with rice, or use as a dip for vegetables. Or, you can try my Oil-Free Vegan Garlic Cilantro Naan for dipping.Print
Skinny Vegan Taziki is a great dip or a bowl, sandwich, vegetables, or Oil-Free Vegan Garlic Cilantro Naan.
- 2 5.3 ounces Kite Hill Plain Almond Milk Yogurt (yield 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup, diced cucumber, drained on paper towels
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Dice cucumber first. I used the small chopper on my vegetable chopper.
- Place chopped cucumber in a colander lined with paper towels and place in the sink.
- Toss cucumbers every couple of minutes, so the paper towel absorbs the extra moisture
- Chop onion using the same small chop, so the cucumber and onion are the same size.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Dip for Oil-Free Vegan Garlic Cilantro Naan
- Dip for vegetables
- Sandwich spread
- Sauce for a gyro bowl
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Keywords: vegan taziki, vegan dip, vegan sauce, gyro bowl, kit evil yogurt, vegan yogurt, cucumbers, dill, vegan greek food, greek