With zucchini season upon us, I decided to make my family’s favorite Skinny Zucchini with Veggies and Tofu Ricotta. Believe it or not, the kids even like this. It tastes like lasagna without the noodles.
Although I love noodles, zucchini makes a perfect capsule for veggies and tofu, which in this recipe is the ricotta cheese of a typical lasagna. Needless to say, I was never a fan of real ricotta, so I prefer tofu ricotta.
In my opinion, my ricotta is more dry than creamy, because I like it to absorb the flavors of the fresh basil and tomatoes.
First, you can cut the zucchini thin with a knife. But, I prefer using my Mandolin to cut the slices thin enough to use as noodles. Yo can also make this recipe with sweet potatoes, also using the Mandolin to slice the potatoes thin enough.
Although you can make your own tomato sauce, I used my favorite sauce listed in teh recipe below.Print
Fresh garden produce made into perfectly scrumptious zucchini rolls.
1 block extra firm tofu, pressed and dried. Follow the instructions in this link if you do not know how to do this The Perfect Pressed Tofu. Once drained, place in a bowl and crumble with a fork.
In a blender cup, combine the following ingredients
- 1 1/2 tablespoon tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon mellow white miso
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large shallot
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tablespoons water
Blend until all ingredients are combine. Stir into crumbled tofu.
Now, saute the following ingredients:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 8 oz container of sliced mushrooms
You will also need:
- Zucchini slices
- 1 Jar Portobello Mushroom Meir Glen Pasta sauce
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Pour 1/4 of the sauce into the bottom of a glass Pyrex 9 X 13 inch pan.
- Take one slice of zucchini
- Spread tofu ricotta on zucchini
- Place the mushroom/onion, garlic combo over the slice
- Add spinach to cover mushrooms
- Carefully begin at one end and roll, while simultaneously pushing the the ingredients inside the circle
- Place it in the plan with the pasta sauce and repeat.
- When all the zucchinis are rolled, cover the tops with remaining mushrooms and then top with pasta sauce.Cover with aluminum foil, tenting it so not to disturb your rolls.
- Bake for 45 minutes covered