My garden is busting with tomatoes and cucumbers, so I decided to make Southwest Chickpea Quinoa Salad for dinner tonight. Not only is this salad full of superfoods, it does not contain any oil. First, the Chickpeas and quinoa work wonderfully with the fresh, diced vegetables. In fact, this salad can be made a head of time, and it won’t get soggy.
Although I chose a variety of my favorite vegetables, you can pick and choose to add or delete ones you don’t prefer. I love the texture of the chickpeas with the crunchy cucumbers, red peppers, and tomatoes. In order to make sure I stayed with my southwest theme, I also added an ear of grilled corn on the cob from the other night.
If you haven’t noticed, I always make extra corn, or quinoa, to use during the week for another recipe. Not only does it help with food prep, but it forces me to use all my leftovers. Another bonus to Southwest Chickpea Quinoa Salad is how cool and fresh it is. Although I am serving it for dinner tonight, it travels well for lunch as well.
This fresh melody of southwest flavors in this salad will bring you back for more. Oil-free and delicious, this salad is the perfect entree or side dish for your next family gathering.
- 1 15.5 ounce can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed (keep the aquafaba from the can for another recipe)
- 1 large English cucumber (skin on), diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup chopped, fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh mint
- 1 jalapeño pepper (deseeded) chopped
- 1 grilled ear of corn(cut from cob) or 1/2 cup cooked corn
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (cooled prior to adding to the salad)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- The juice of 1 lemon (or 3 Tablespoons)
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl add all the salad ingredients
- Do not add quinoa until it is cool
- Add dressing; toss
- Cover and refrigerate until served
Keywords: Quinoa, Chickpeas, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Red Onion, Salad, Oil-free