Who doesn’t love a good tater tot? I grew up eating Ore-Ida Tater Tots. Those little tots were my favorite, with a whopping 160 calories for 8 small tots. Truth be told, I ate way more than 8 per serving. Vegan Baked Tater Tots have 60 calories for two times the amount.
As an adult, my love for the little potato nuggets hasn’t disappeared. Fortunately, making vegan baked tater tots at home makes eating as many as I want guilt-free.
Although many assume making homemade tater tots is difficult, they are simple and have very few ingredients.
In fact, you can make a variety of types of tots just by choosing different seasonings and combinations of ingredients. In this recipe, I will supply the main tot recipe, as well as a variety of versions, so you can choose your flavors.
First, you need to choose your potato. Although I use sweet potatoes, you can use white baking potatoes if you like. Personally, I like the texture of the sweet potatoes for this particular recipe.
Then, simple cook them, add shredded zucchini, and a few other ingredients. The fun is rolling them into tots. By the way, this is a GREAT projects for your kids to help with.
Guiltless tater tots! What more could you ask for? Gluten-Free, Fat-Free and oh so yummy!
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into equal sized large chunks (2 cups mashed)
- 2 medium zucchini, grated (1 1/2 cup grated)
- 1/3 cup almond flour (more may be needed)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt or Cajun seasoning
- Add 2 Tablespoons chopped rosemary
- Add 2 Tablespoons chopped dill
- Add 1 Tablespoon liquid smoke
- Add 1/2 small chopped onion
- Add 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- Peel a large sweet potato and cut it into large similar sized chunks
- Place sweet potato chunks in a pan and cover with water.
- Boil; reduce heat to medium low and cook until sweet potato is cooked through and tender when stabbed with a fork (approximately 20 minutes)
- Using a cheese grater, shred both zucchinis
- Using a paper towel, toss to get rid of some of the water in the zucchini
- When sweet potato is cooked through, drain the water.
- Place sweet potato is a bowl and mash throughly with a fork until no large chunks exist.
- Add grated zucchini
- Add flour, nutritional yeast, and seasonings.
- Stir together with a fork, mixing all the ingredients together.
- The mixture will be damp. If it is wet, add more almond flour.
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Prepare a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Using your hands, forms similar size tater tots.
- Place each tot on the pan about 1/4 inch or less apart
- Make sure the oven is hot and pre-heated before you put the tots in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes; then roll each one over and bake 15 more minutes