When I was a kid, my mom used to order BLT pizza from Little Caesars Pizza. Although it was a pizza, it didn’t have any tomato sauce; it was simply pizza crust, mayonnaise, bacon, lettuce and tomato.
For some reason, the combination was fabulous! As a lactose intolerant child, I could never digest cheese, so a pizza without cheese was not an anomaly. So, maybe that was why I loved BLT pizza.
Or, maybe that was my mom’s way of getting us to eat lettuce and tomatoes.
In order to ‘veganize’ this pizza, all I had to make Skinny Oil-Free Pizza Dough, Vegan Coconut Bacon, and vegan mayo. The only other ingredients you need are fresh vine tomatoes and shredded lettuce.
To be honest, I didn’t know if I could capture the flavors of my favorite childhood pizza. But, with a little trial and error, it was a great success.
If you want to save time, there are vegan pizza crusts (they do contain oil) at the grocery store, or Trader Joes has a great wheat dough. In oder to know your ingredients, making your own is always the best policy.
For instance, I make the dough in batches and freeze it, so all I have to do is thaw the dough.Print
“BLT” Pizza is a unique and tasty pizza the whole family will love.
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
- 3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 3 Tablespoons Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke (I used hickory flavor)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened, unflavored almond milk
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 Medjool date, seed removed
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup warm water (run the tap until warm)
- 2½ teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 tablespoon vegan raw sugar
- 1½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 heaping tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- corn meal for the bottom of the pizza stone
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in halves
- 2 cup shredded Romaine lettuce
- Soak cashews overnight, if possible. If not, you just need to blend longer
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender
- Blend until smooth; set aside (will last in a the refrigerator for 1 week)
COCONUT BACON (30 MINUTES PRIOR TO COOKING)
- In an airtight container, add coconut and all other ingredients
- Put the top on the container
- Place in refrigerator for a minimum of 10 minutes, ideally 30 minutes, or overnight if planning ahead
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350
- On a cookie sheet, cover with parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- Remove coconut mixture from the refrigerator
- Give it one last shake, and using the top drain any excess fluid
- Place a single layer of marinated coconut on the cookie sheet
- Use a spatula to spread a single layer, attempting to reduce a thick layer
- Place in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven; using a spatula, flip and move bacon around pan, still maintaining a single layer
- Cook another ten minutes
- Remove from oven and let cook completely.
- Use a fork or spoon to combine water, yeast, and sugar in a small bowl–set aside until foaming.
- Combine all remaining ingredients (except maple syrup) in large mixing bowl.
- Now add yeast (again it will be foamy) .
- If dough is too sticky to handle with your fingers, add a tablespoon of flour. or more for desired consistency.
- If it’s too dry to hold together, add a teaspoon or more of water. Knead dough for just a minute or two.
- Set dough aside in a warm place for 1 hour, or until it doubles in size.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Knead, stretch, and roll out dough in a circular shape.
- Put corn meal on the bottom of a pizza stone. This will give your pizza a crunchy bottom and prevent sticking.
- Put in oven WITHOUT any toppings. Cook for 30 minutes.
- While it cooks, prepare your toppings.
PUTTING IT TOGETHER
- Remove crust from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes
- Spread cashew mayo over the entire base of the pizza crust
- Then add lettuce on top of the mayo
- Then, add the tomatoes and the cooked coconut bacon
- Cut with a pizza cutter and serve
Keywords: pizza, vegan pizza, BLT pizza, coconut bacon, oil-free crust, plant-based pizza