Despite popular belief, vegan burritos are not created equal. In fact, most people assume a vegan breakfast burrito is similar to a burrito eaten in a Mexican restaurant. So instead, I chose to make a savory, vegan breakfast burrito recipe with my favorite vegan breakfast ingredients.
When I think about breakfast, pre-plant-based, I think about eggs and bacon! When I was little, my mom made a huge breakfast on the weekends. Although I NEVER liked eggs, I sat at the table and watched them slide around my plate. YUCK!
And, even though I was never a big breakfast fan, I learned to love vegan breakfast more than I ever thought possible.
In my house, brunch is an occasion to celebrate family, great food, and a week of hard work. So, let's make vegan breakfast burritos!
WHAT'S IN THIS SAVORY VEGAN BREAKFAST BURRITO?
First, the vegan breakfast burrito base is an easy tofu scramble; if you are new to cooking with tofu, welcome to the best vegan ingredient's h
At the beginning of my plant-based journey, I struggled to like tofu. But it was only because I didn't know how to cook with it.
Now, tofu is one of my favorite ingredients because it's so versatile. Like a sponge, tofu takes on the flavors and texture of spices and how it's cooked.
And, tofu scramble is easy to make. The most important part, though, is pressing the tofu before crumbling it into a scramble.
This link should help Pressed Tofu for Grilling, Baking, Air-frying, or Cooking in a Skillet if you are new to cooking with tofu.
What you decide to add to your tofu scramble, however, is up to you. Since I adore mushrooms, I combined red and white onions and a ton of mushrooms.
To make the perfect tofu scramble, it's first necessary to saute the onions and mushrooms first. Because the tofu takes less time to cook compared to anything else, it gets cooked last.
As a general rule, I always use vegetable broth to prevent my veggies from sticking.
Of course, my next favorite ingredient is Vegan Coconut Bacon, which is essential for a vegan breakfast burrito recipe.
WHAT IS COCONUT BACON?
For those who know me, vegan coconut bacon is one of my favorites! I add it to my Vegan Potato Skins, and my Cashew Miso Mac and Cheese Topped with Coconut Bacon.
Not only is coconut bacon simple to make, but it can be made ahead of time and added to any of your favorite vegan dishes, like Potato Leek Soup.
Of course, I needed to add Vegan Coconut Bacon to my vegan breakfast burrito to add that necessary sweet and salty taste.
ADD VEGAN CHEESE SAUCE MADE FROM VEGGIES
The finishing touch, of course, is Nacho Cheese Sauce. Clearly, every savory vegan breakfast burrito needs a little cheesy love. So, why not make it healthy cheese?
Of course, I made a batch of Nacho Cheese Sauce for other recipes I made during the week, so I had extras. Although I chose to use this cheese sauce, you can choose a different vegan cheese choice as a substitute.
If you want ideas of recipes that include Nacho Cheese Sauce, here are some ideas that may help you on your nacho cheesy journey:
- Vegan Chipotle Mac and Cheese
- Chili Cheese Dip
- Mustard Cheese Dip
- Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Tater Tot Nachos
- Vegan Guilt-Free Potato Nachos…A Game-Day Treat!
HOW TO BUILD A VEGAN BREAKFAST BURRITO RECIPE
The steps for building the perfect vegan breakfast burrito, for instance, are easy!
First, lay a large vegan tortilla on a flat surface. My personal favorite tortilla, for example, is Indian Life Spinach Wraps I buy at Whole Foods.
Then, add a heavy handful of organic raw spinach and a heaping scoop of tofu scramble. Make sure, though, You keep the ingredients in the center, lengthwise, so you can fold the burrito tightly.
The next step, then, is to fold in the side and tuck tightly and roll. Then, keep the vegan breakfast burrito together, start cooking the vegan burrito in the pan, and fold side down first.
To make breakfast complete, I served Vegan Breakfast Potatoes with my vegan breakfast burrito recipe.
To spice up your breakfast, just put all your favorites in a tortilla and grill it up. Vegan breakfast burritos are easy, and you can come up with different combinations to make breakfast interesting.
If you love breakfast as much as I do, check out some of my favorite breakfast recipes:
- Vegan Breakfast Tacos
- Vegan Breakfast Casserole
- Vegan Breakfast Potatoes
- Skinny Southwestern Tofu Scramble
- Skinny Vegan Cream Cheese
- Skinny Chia Seed Pudding
- Skinny Veggie Tofu Scramble
- Vegan Kale and Potato Frittata
- Green Goddess Smoothie
- Yummy Vegan Banana French Toast
Now you know how to make vegan breakfast burritos, share this amazing Vegan Breakfast Burrito recipe with your family and friends.
Vegan Breakfast Burrito
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu pressed and crumbled
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup red onion diced
- ½ cup yellow onion diced
- 1 cup coconut bacon
Nacho Cheese Sauce or vegan cheese of choice
- 1 cup vegan cheese sauce
- 6 large vegan tortillas of choice
- 16 ounces baby organic spinach
- Press tofu and crumble in a bowl (do not crumble too small; it should be in larger crumbles).
- Add nutritional yeast and other spices.
SAUTE MUSHROOMS AND ONIONS
- In a medium saute pan on medium-low, saute the onions until translucent.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook with onions until brown.
- Use a little vegetable broth or water to prevent vegetables from sticking.
- Add tofu and cook for several minutes, stirring with a spatula unit cooked through.
- Prepare vegan coconut bacon.
- Prepare ¼ recipe of nacho cheese sauce.
PREPARING VEGAN BREAKFAST BURRITOS
- Lay each tortilla on a flat surface
- Add a large handful of spinach to the center of the tortilla.
- Then, large spoonfuls of to scramble.
- Next, add coconut bacon and cheese sauce.
- Fold in the sides of the burrito, and roll tightly.
- Cook seam side down first to seal the vegan breakfast burrito.
- Cut, and serve with your favorite hot sauce of choice.
- I served with vegan breakfast potatoes.
- Use sprouted tofu to avoid pressing tofu
- Use your favorite vegan cheese instead of making your own sauce
- Include your own favorite vegetable combinations to add variety to your breakfast burritos
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂