Vegan Portobello Mushroom Stew is so hearty, you won’t believe how delicious it is.
As a child, I remember my grandma’s hearty, thick beef stew. I remember the distinct smell when I walked into her house; my sister and I fought over the greek bread my grandma baked to dip in the stew.
Since transitioning to a plant based diet and cooking without oil and fats, I realized herbs and spices bring the flavors of natural, whole foods out. In fact, the right combination of flavors creates a fat-free version of my childhood favorite foods without the fat and meat.
The true heart of any stew the choices of vegetables and the thick broth that baths the vegetables. The key to a thick broth is a combination of vegetable broth, tomato paste, flour and a hint of red wine. The meat is easily replaced with portobello mushrooms, a hearty, healthy alternative to meat.
When I walked in the door, I caught Paul leaning over the crockpot with a spoon. Apparently, the smell drew him to the crock pot and he couldn’t wait to take a taste. He added the peas for me but chose to take a few bites before I arrived.
After a long day, I can clearly attest to the incredible aroma as well as the taste. We both enjoyed a large bowl of stew, and we prepared three additional mugs of stew for tomorrow’s lunch.Print
This savory, hearty stew is full of vegetables with a thick, creamy herbal broth. You won’t believe it is so low in calories and oil-free.
- 4 large or 2 packages pre-cut, cut into equal large chunks Portobello Mushrooms
- 12 Baby Red Potatoes, cut in half and then quartered (leave skin on). You can also use baby white potatoes if you prefer.
- 3 stalks Celery, cut into equal but sized chunks
- 3 Carrots, peeled and sliced into bite sized pieces
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 1 8 ounce bag (frozen) Peas
- 6 cups Organic Vegetable Broth
- 1 15 ounce can Tomato Paste
- 1/4 cup Wheat Flour
- 2 sprigs (whole) Thyme
- 1 sprig (whole) Rosemary
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 cup Red Wine
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
- adjust to taste Salt
- adjust to taste Pepper
PREPARE VEGETABLES FOR THE CROCK POT
- Cut portobello mushrooms, onions, celery, carrots and potatoes.
- Place in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Add thyme, bay leaf, and rosemary (leave whole, so they can be removed after cooking).
- DO NOT ADD FROZEN PEAS UNTIL THE END
PREPARE THE SAUCE SEPARATELY/FINISH
- In a high speed blender combine 2 cups vegetable broth, 1/4 flour, and tomato paste (this is to help avoid getting lumps from the flour)
- Blender on high speed until blended.
- Pour into crockpot on top of vegetables.
- Pour remaining vegetable broth over the top.
- Add seasonings.
- Stir and cover
- 30 minutes before serving, add frozen peas.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and lower temperature to serve mode.
- I garnished with thyme and a vegan dough heart.
I cut out dough and freeze the shapes to bake later.
Its just an extra way to make it pretty.
- Or, serve with a crusty bread of your choice
Keywords: Stew; soup. portobello mushrooms, crockpot, vegan, no oil
With a few minutes of prep time and a lot of fresh ingredients, you too can enjoy this simple recipe. We loved it.