Last year, we attended a wedding on the east coast in a small up north town in Michigan. As many of you know, traveling can be difficult when you are plant-based, and planning ahead is important. Even though I always research where I am traveling to ensure I can eat, I always pack a bag of vegan snacks, just in case, so I don't starve. However, I was amazed by the vegan options, and a vegan curry pizza on my travels was so impressive, I made it at home.
Although curry on pizza may sound bizarre, it was fabulous. If you are following a no oil plant-based, diet, I have included an easy no-oil homemade crust. You can also make individual pizzas on vegan English muffins, or a whole wheat tortilla.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE OIL-FREE CRUST FOR VEGAN CURRY PIZZA
HOMEMADE NO-OIL CRUST
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fast-active dry yeast (you need to use fast-acting or if won't work)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
WHAT'S IN THE SAUCE? INSTEAD OF USING A TYPICAL TOMATO BASED PIZZA SAUCE, GO CURRY WILD
- 3 Tablespoons Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste
- 3 Tablespoons light coconut milk
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice.
- 1/4 cup water.
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro.
- Tahini Sauce: garlic cloves, salt, tahini
Even though you can use any toppings you prefer, I used the same toppings we ate on our curry pizza in up north Michigan.
- One hothouse tomato, sliced thin
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- Chop cilantro (make sure you wash well; cilantro has a lot of sand inside the leaves)
- 2 garlic cloves.
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste.
- 1/2 cup well-stirred tahini (Middle Eastern sesame paste)
Although the sauce is simple, the flavors are creamy and intense. The tahini drizzle and cilantro bring all the flavors together.
VEGAN PIZZA IS HEALTHY AND DELICIOUS! HERE ARE MORE HEALTHY PIZZA RECIPES
- Vegan Flatbread Pizza 3 Ways
- Vegan BLT Pizza with Coconut Bacon
- Skinny Oil-Free Pizza Sauce and Pizza Dough
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂