My husband LOVES german potato salad! My version of vegan german potato salad with smokey coconut bacon will keep him alive longer than his childhood version.
In fact, traditional German Potato Salad is made with olive oil, sugar and bacon. My version replaces the bacon with coconut bacon. I also use Maple syrup instead of sugar, and omit the oil altogether.
Although German Potato Salad is generally made with white potatoes, I prefer baby red potatoes. For this recipe, I used 2 pounds of baby red potatoes.
We hosted an Octoberfest party, so this was the perfect side dish.
In order to give the salad that smokey, bacon taste, I used coconut bacon. Although you can make the coconut bacon beforehand, it can also be made on demand. I used coconut flakes, which I but at the grocery store.
In order to make coconut bacon, you need unsweetened coconut chips, not flakes. If you have difficulty finding Unsweetened Coconut Chips , try this link. Although you can serve German Potato Salad cold, it is traditionally served warm.Print
Low-fat, yet fabulously delicious. If you are looking for a way to enjoy German Potato Salad without the guilt, give this recipe a try.
- 2 pounds baby red potatoes, sliced in halves or quarters
- 1 cup diced, red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- 1 cup Vegan Coconut Bacon
Vegan Coconut Bacon
Vegan Coconut Bacon (Click this link)
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Prepare Vegan Coconut Bacon according to directions provided on the link
- Slice potatoes in halves or quarters
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and boil fro approximately 35 minutes (this varies due to size of potatoes, so check for tenderness with fork.
- Chop onions, chives, dill, celery
- Whisk all ingredients together; set aside
- Once potatoes are drained, transfer them to a large bowl
- Add chopped vegetables
- Add coconut bacon
- Pour dressing over the top
- Toss together
- Serve while warm or cover and served cold