Vegan Hungarian Goulash is sweet with a slight hint of spice. This one-pot wonder is easy to make, quick and hearty. My family LOVES this dish. And itytakes less than 30 minutes!
Servings: 6 servings
- Chopped Basil, thyme, or chopped parsley
In a large pot, saute onions and garlic over medium heat until translucent.
Cook about 4 minutes longer, stirring with onions and garlic.
Add mushrooms and cooked lentils (if using soy crumbles, add instead of the lentils and mushrooms)
Stir and cook another 7 minutes.
Add a little vegetable broth if the mixture sticks to the bottom of the pan, but the mixture from the mushrooms, onions, and peppers should provide ample moisture.
Add Other Ingredients:
Add the red bell peppers, tomato sauce, canned roasted diced tomatoes, vegetable broth.
Add soy sauce, smoked paprika, garlic powder, the two bay leaves, and stir.
Make sure the mixture is boiling BEFORE you add the noodles
Add elbow macaroni and stir.
Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
Cook covered for 20 minutes.
Check noodles to see if they are done. Depending on the noodles, you may need to adjust the time to 5-7 more minutes.
Gluten-Free Noodle Tip:
If you use gluten-free noodles, they often absorb more fluid than noodles with gluten. Because of this, you want to be sure to keep some additional vegetable broth available.
While cooking the 20 minutes covered, make sure you add fluid if necessary if the noodles absorb too much liquid.
Cooking the noodles in a separate pan and rinsing them before adding them to the pan at the last minute of cooking is also an option.
- Whenever a recipe calls for spices, always add slowly and taste before adding more. Everyone's palate is different, and it's impossible to remove too much spice once it's added to a recipe.
- If using gluten-free noodles, I suggest cooking separately and rinsing the noodles. Then, add the noodles to the mixture right before serving.
- If you don't like pasta, reduce the vegetable broth in half and serve over vegan mashed potatoes recipe or brown rice.
- I used steamed brown lentils from Trader Joe's, but you can use canned b brown lentils, drained well, or make your own brown lentils on the stove. Just make sure they are well drained.
- The vegan Hungarian goulash is stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Leftovers freeze well for up to 3 months. However, thaw completely before reheating.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 388kcal | Carbohydrates: 82g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 0.3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Sodium: 1284mg | Potassium: 1018mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 1884IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 7mg