Vegan Sloppy Joes
Vegan Sloppy Joes aren't so sloppy, but they are genuinely delicious. These sloppy joes are homemade, low-fat, and kid-approved. You can make them ahead of time and heat them later or freeze them as well. Served with vegan Greek Pasta, this meal is complete!
Servings: 8 servings
- 16 baby portobello mushrooms diced
- 1 can black beans or pinto beans drained
- 1 cup White Onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Red Pepper diced
- 3 Celery Stalks diced
- 2 cups cooked lentils i used Trader Joes steamed, cooked lentils
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Tomato Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Vegan Hamburger Buns choice
Saute Vegetables: Sauté garlic and onion in a large skillet until translucent.
Add red pepper and celery; cook for approximately three more minutes.
Add mushrooms, and cook until brown and the liquid dissipates.
Add cooked lentils.
Add all remaining ingredients: black beans (or pinto beans), red wine vinegar, maple syrup, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste.
As the ingredients simmer, the consistency will thicken.
If you make it ahead, place a top on the pan and place it in the refrigerator.
Re-heat when ready to serve.
Using a vegan bun, toast and pile a large scoop of sloppy joes on the bun.
Top with your favorite toppings. I served with sprouts.
Popular toppers: Coleslaw, pickles, tomatoes, onions; the possibilities are endless.
- To freeze sloppy joes, leave an inch of air between the top of your freezer container to avoid freezer burn. However, vegan sloppy joes will last in the refrigerator for one week, which has NEVER happened at my house.
- I like Souper Cubes for freezing soups, stews, and vegan sloppy joes.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw completely before reheating. I put frozen foods in the refrigerator the night before for the best results.
- Of course, you should serve vegan sloppy joes with steak fries, skinny AF sweet potato fries, or oven-baked fries.
- Another great idea is to serve sloppy joes with vegan potato salad or vegan macaroni salad.
Serving: 8g | Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0.2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Sodium: 300mg | Potassium: 1149mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1317IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 4mg