Zoodle Pad Thai
Zucchini is growing like crazy in my garden. So, when life gives you zucchini, make zoodles. Zoodle Pad Thai is a plant-based, low-fat, low-carb, gluten-free delicious version of traditional Pad Thai. Make it in 25 minutes or less in one pan!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Diet: Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 Zucchini spiraled using the spaghetti blade (I used green zucchini, but you may use yellow)
- 1 White Onion sliced thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- ½ small Red Cabbage shredded
- 1 Red Bell Pepper sliced into thin strips
- 1 jalapeño deseeded, deveined and sliced thin (optional)
- 1 cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 inch grated Fresh Ginger Root
- ½ cup Homemade Peanut Butter or Almond Butter or peanut butter of choice or 12 Tablespoons PBFit or PB2 + 1 ½ cups water mixed
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Low Sodium Soy Sauce or Tamari
- 2 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup or agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons grated Fresh Ginger Root
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 3 Tablespoons Water
- 3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 limes sliced into wedges
- ½ cup peanuts optional 1 ounce peanuts per bowl
- 4 green onions sliced
Spiralize the zucchini using the spaghetti blade. (Choose small/or medium zucchini). Large zucchinis are great for baking, but Zoodles are best prepared using small or medium zucchinis.
Shred cabbage and carrots.
Slice red bell peppers, jalapeno, mushrooms, and onions.
Preparing the Pad Thai:
Heat a Wok to medium-high heat, WITHOUT ANY OIL. You don't need oil. The vegetables contain so much water, so leave the oil out.
Saute the garlic and onion first. Cook until translucent.
Then, add mushrooms and saute until browned.
Now, add cabbage. Cook for a few minutes.
Add shredded carrots, sliced jalapeno, and red bell pepper.
Cook and toss for a few minutes.
Add Zucchini Zoodles and cook for 3 minutes, tossing often to make sure it gets hot.
I use a timer for this. You do not want to overcook them. They just need to be warmed.
Remove the wok from the heat.
Add the low-fat peanut sauce and toss.
Serve with chopped cilantro, green onions, and peanuts as garnishes on top
- Use a spiralizer or mandoline to make the zoodles.
- PBFit or PB2 are powdered peanut butter products lower in sugar and fat as a substitute for peanut or almond butter.
- If you don't like zucchini, try sweet potatoes, beets, or broccoli stalks.
- To reduce the amount of water in the zucchini noodles, sprinkle with salt and lay on paper towels.
- Cook zoodles last and for only 3 minutes to avoid soggy zoodles.
- Zoodles replace pasta in any recipe. But, remember to only cook them for 3 minutes.
- Eat zoodles raw or cooked.
Calories: 232kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 258mg | Potassium: 821mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 4151IU | Vitamin C: 79mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 2mg