Asian Pasta Salad
Savory and sweet, this Asian bowtie pasta salad is a little bit of pasta with a ton of vegetables, dressed in a tangy teriyaki dressing, topped with mandarin oranges, and sprinkled with sesame seeds. Make it ahead of time and eat it all week long.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Diet: Diabetic, Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Servings: 6 servings
Asian Pasta Salad
- 4 cups chopped red kale stems removed
- 8 ounces bow tie pasta whole-grain or any pasta; cooked and cooled
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 carrots shaved
- 1 red pepper sliced thin
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded white cabbage
- 1 cup mame shelled edamame cooked and cooled
- 1 sheet seaweed paper crushed
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 mandarin oranges peeled, sliced in half, and sectioned clementines also work
Teriyaki Dressing Option 1
- ½ cup cashew mayo or vegan mayo of choice Or substitute white beans or silken tofu for cashews for a nut-free option
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or date syrup
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or Tamari
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Short cut Teriyaki Dressing Option 2
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup bottled teriyaki sauce of choice
- ½ cup water
Preparing the Vegetables/Salad Ingredients
Bring 6 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt and boil.
Add pasta and reduce heat to simmer.
Cook according to package instructions (11-13 minutes).
Chop the vegetables and cut the oranges.
When pasta is cooked, drain and run cold water over the pasta to stop cooking.
Pasta should be cool when placed with other ingredients (unless eaten warm).
In a large bowl place the chopped kale at the base of a large bowl.
Now add the vegetables and cooled pasta and cooled mame.
Teriyaki Salad Dressing
Choose Option 1 or 2
Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth
Pour over salad and toss until coated.
Refrigerate for an hour or more before serving.
Toss again before servings and add sesame seeds and mandarin orange segments.
- I chose to cold my Asian pasta salad recipe, but serving it warm is also possible.
- Also, if you don't like kale, any greens work well, but don't dress the salad immediately.
- Salads made primarily with kale hold up for days when dressed ahead of time. This is because kale softens when dressed, making it more easily digestible.
- Add grilled, air-fried, or baked tofu for added protein.
- Include peapods, red onions, yellow onions, bok choy, and other vegetables.
Calories: 384kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.002g | Sodium: 224mg | Potassium: 661mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 9143IU | Vitamin C: 100mg | Calcium: 216mg | Iron: 3mg