Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
You will love this vegan nacho cheese sauce recipe if you like it cheesy. Made of only vegetables, it is fat-free and oil-free. Dip your favorite tortilla chips, make mac and cheese, add it to your favorite dip made with cheese, or layer in an enchilada casserole. The possibilities are endless.
Servings: 12 servings
Cheese Sauce: 2-2/12 cups (depends on how cheesy you like it)
- 3 small Idaho potatoes washed, scrubbed, skin left on cut into similar sized chunks (3 cups)
- 3 large carrots peeled and cut into equal-sized pieces to the potatoes (2 cups)
- 1 jalapeno deseeded and diced
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon Tamari liquid aminos, or soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon hot sauce I used Cholula
Wash three averaged sized potatoes; cut into large chunks (leave skins on potatoes)
Clean and cut three large carrots and chop them the same size as potatoes
Place in a pot and cover with water
Add a few sprinkles of salt to the water.
Boil for 20 minutes
While potatoes are boiling, put the vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, jalapeno, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, hot sauce, and soy sauce in a blender.
Drain potatoes and carrots
Put potatoes and carrots into a blender; blend until smooth
The mixture will be thick; add water.
Transfer ‘cheese’ mixture into a medium-sized saucepan.
I use the sauce on top of grilled fajita burritos, or you can serve with chips, or on top of a potato, broccoli, or anything else you like cheesy.
- Cut the potatoes and carrots into equal sizes so they cook evenly.
- Use a fork to test if carrots and potatoes are cooked through before adding them to a blender.
- Smokey Vegan Cheese Sauce: remove the jalapeno from the recipe and add 2 teaspoons of liquid smoke.
- Plain Vegan Cheese Sauce: remove the jalapeno, and it's the perfect sauce for a Healthy Mac and Cheese.
- Spicy Vegan Cheese Sauce: add 1 adobo chili pepper and 1 teaspoon of sauce from the can
- Copycat Spicy Velveta Dip: add 1 9 ounces can of Rotel Tomatoes with green chili (pick your heat: mild, medium, or hot)
Calories: 60kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 0.2g | Saturated Fat: 0.03g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.05g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.01g | Sodium: 122mg | Potassium: 329mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2629IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg