Tofu Banh Mi
The tofu Banh Mi sandwich is packed with fresh coleslaw of carrots, cabbage, and red onions. Then topped with seared Sriracha tofu and topped with handfuls of cilantro, jalapenos, and crisp cucumber slices with spicy vegan mayo.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Diet: Vegan, Vegetarian
Servings: 4 servings
- 14 ounces Extra-Firm Tofu drained and pressed
- 1 Tablespoons Sriracha
- 2 Tablespoons rice soy sauce or Tamari
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 Carrots cut into matchstick or shredded
- ½ cup purple cabbage shredded
- 3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Maple Syrup
- 1 cup Napa cabbage shredded
- ½ red onion cut in slivers
- ½ cup raw cashews soaked in water overnight; it replace with siljen tofu or white beans for a soy free option
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha or leave out for just mayo
Making the sandwich
- 1 loaf Baguette or your choice of bread I used whole-grain
- 1 cucumber sliced thin
- 2 large bunches cilantro washed, stems removed, and lightly chopped
- 2 jalapeños sliced thin, seeds removed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Press and dry the tofu slowly until it is approximately 1 inch thick.
Cut lengthwise, creating two thinner pieces.
Now, cut that into 8 identical squares.
Mix vinegar, soy, and sriracha together
Pour the soy mixture over the tofu.
Cover and marinate overnight.
Bake for 30 minutes on one side, then 30 minutes on the other side
You may store it in a covered container or use it as is. I made mine beforehand and seared it for my sandwich the day I wanted to eat it.
If you don't like it hot, skip the Sriracha/water combination and mix ¼ cup bbq sauce with ¼ water.
Note: If using the tofu later, pre-heat non-stick pan to medium. Add tofu slices and cook for 5 minutes on each side.
Preheat grill to 400 degrees
Place tofu slabs directly on the grill, or use a grill mat.
Flip tofu every 4 minutes for 16 minutes
Remove from the grill.
Air Frying Tofu
Follow the same pressing and marinating process.
Set air fryer temperature at 375 degrees
Cook 10-15 minutes, shaking the basket a couple of times through the cooking process.
In a bowl, combine matchstick carrots, cabbages, and red onion.
Mix rice vinegar, white one vinegar, and maple syrup together.
Pour over slaw.
Toss and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Vegan Srriracha Mayo
Drain cashews if you soaked them overnight. (of use silken tofu or white beans for a soy-free option)
Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender.
Blend until smooth.
Add more water if it's too thick.
If you don't like spice, leave the Sriracha out.
Turn on the broiler in the oven and place baguettes on a baking sheet.
Toast bread for 3 minutes
Cut jalapeno slice and remove seeds.
Cut cucumber slices.
Wash and lightly chop cilantro, being careful to remove stems.
Preparing the Sandwich
Remove bread from the oven.
Spread Sriracha Mayo on each side of the bread.
Lay tofu squares next to each other the entire length of the bread, and make a second layer if you have squares left.
Using a straining spoon, spoon slaw; be sure to remove excess fluid (you may also strain bowl before serving).
Add cucumber slices along the length of the bread.
Add jalapeno slices
Top with a generous portion of cilantro.
Slice and serve.
- Remove the inside of the bread without breaking through the bun and make a well to place the ingredients.
- Keep the extra bread sealed in a plastic bag to use for bread crumbs or to dip into soup,
- Prepare the Sriracha mayo in advance; it stores in the refrigerator for up to 5 days,
- Use white beans or silken tofu to replace the cashews for a nut-free mayo option. The buns brown quickly, especially after the inside of the bread is removed, so watch them, so they don't burn,
- Prepare the coleslaw in advance and refrigerate it to enhance the flavors.
- To avoid soggy bread, use a slotted spoon when adding the slaw to the sandwich.
- If sensitive to spice, always add small amounts of sriracha and jalapenos and taste them before completing the recipe. Everyone enjoys different levels of spice. You can always add more spice; you can never remove it.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 367kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 489mg | Potassium: 755mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 8236IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 162mg | Iron: 5mg