Mediterranean Couscous Salad
Mediterranean Couscous Salad is a light and delicious entree salad or side dish in 25 minutes or less.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 yellow summer squash diced
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 3 baby bell peppers sliced thin
- 1 cup artichokes chopped
- ¼ cup banana peppers
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup kalamata olives
- ⅛ cup parsley garnish
- 8 ounces pearl couscous
- 1 ¾ cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Cooking the Couscous
Add the dry pearl couscous to a medium-sized pan heated to medium heat and stir with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes.
The dry couscous will toast; stir it often so it doesn't burn.
Add 1 ¾ cup boiling water slowly and stir into the toasted couscous.
Cover and reduce the heat to simmer.
Cook for 12 minutes covered.
Remove the pan from the heat.
Fluff with a fork and allow to cool, or for quicker cooling, pour into a colander and run cold water through the couscous.
When the couscous is cooled, transfer it to a large bowl, add all ingredients to a bowl, and toss.
Refrigerate until ready to serve
Combine all ingredients in a bowl or large measuring cup and whisk together.
Refrigerate the dressing until ready to use.
Drizzle on salad and toss.
- When making toasted couscous, ensure the water slowly added to the hot pan is boiling before adding.
- Just as you would salt the water before cooking other types of pasta, you'll want to salt it before cooking couscous. When added, the couscous will absorb the liquid and everything in it. Adding salt at the beginning of the couscous-making process is an easy way to get a headstart on the seasoning process.
- If using packaged couscous, follow the directions, except omit the oil if suggested. It isn't necessary to add oil.
- Using a vegetable chopper helps expedite preparing the vegetables for the salad.
- Add as much dressing as you desire and salt and pepper as preferred.
Calories: 186kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 0.3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 312mg | Potassium: 416mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1415IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 2mg