Turn a simple concept into a fabulous sandwich. This vegan BLT also called a TLT, is loaded with grilled tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and cashew mayo on a toasted vegan ciabatta bun! One bite, and you'll fall in love!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time16 mins
Total Time26 mins
Diet: Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Servings: 4 servings
- 16 ounces tempeh I use organic light life brand
- ¼ cup soy sauce or Tamari
- 2 Tablespoons Maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke I used hickory flavor
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 cup raw cashews or substitute white beans or silken tofu for a nut-free option
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
Other Vegan BLT Ingredients
- 4 large Romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 large organic tomatoes sliced
- ½ large red onion sliced thin (optional)
Marinating and Grilling Tempeh
Remove tempeh for the packages and cut each piece in half.
Place in a large saucepan and cover in water
Boil for 20 minutes
Drain water and set it aside.
In a refrigerator-safe container, whisk together the tempeh bacon marinade, and pour a small amount into the container's base.
Then, add two tempeh pieces, pour more marinade over the top, and repeat until all the tempeh and marinade are in the container.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
I always flip it over in the refrigerator every time I go in the fridge for anything.
Preheat the grill to 450 before grilling the tempeh.
Place the tempeh pieces on the grill, and rotate every 4 minutes for 16 minutes (flipping it 4 times)
Return grilled tempeh to the extra marinade
When cool to the touch, slice the tempeh thin.
Cooking Tempeh Bacon in a Skillet
Boil tempeh for 20 minutes and allow to cool.
Cut the tempeh into thin strips.
Place tempeh strips in the marinade overnight for the best results.
Place a large skillet on the stove and heat to medium-high.
Place tempeh strips and the marinade in the skillet in a single layer (do not overlap strips).
The sauce will thicken and begin to caramelize the strips of tempeh bacon.
Using tongs, flip the strips over and cook the other side.
When all the marinade is absorbed into the tempeh bacon strips and the bacon is brown, remove from the heat.
Preparing the Sandwich
Cut tomatoes, onion, and lettuce
Toast the ciabatta buns, or use your bread of choice
Place ¼ of the tempeh bacon on the base of the bun/bread.
Then, top with tomato, red onion (optional), and lettuce.
Smear cashew mayo
on the top bun.
Take a bite and smile (with cashew mayo on your face!)
- Boiling the tempeh is the key to loving tempeh.
- Store tempeh bacon in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Cashew mayo will last for 1 week in the fridge as well.
- Substitute silken tofu for cashews for a nut-free option.
- Use a gluten-free bun or gluten-free bread if avoiding grains.
- Substitute store-bought vegan mayo to save time if you don't wish to make your own ( but homemade is much better).
Serving: 4g | Calories: 479kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 475mg | Potassium: 1067mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 2969IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 193mg | Iron: 7mg