Vegan Stir Fry
Vegan stir fry is full of various vegetables, all cooked in different stages to create a perfect stir fry drizzled with homemade sugar-free stir fry sauce.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Diet: Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Vegetables (Grouped in stages of cooking)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large white onion sliced thin
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 head broccoli cut into bite-sized florets
- ½ head cauliflower cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 red bell pepper sliced thin
- 2 heads bok choy
- 2 carrots cut into coins
- 1 zucchini cut into coins
- 1 inch fresh ginger grated
- Black sesame seeds optional garnish
Stir Fry Sauce (Makes 1 ½ cup; I only used ¼ -½ cup)
Stir Fry Sauce
Combine all the ingredients in a high-speed blender.
Transfer the contents of the blender to a small saucepan.
Heat on low heat, stirring occasionally.
The sauce will thicken as it heats through.
Although this recipe makes 1 ½ cups of sauce, I only used ¼-1/2 cups for the stir fry and reserved the sauce for another recipe.
Do not add the stir-fry sauce until you are done cooking the vegetables.
Prepare Vegetables into Groups for Different Stages of Cooking
Saute garlic, mushrooms, and onions together over medium-high heat in a wok until onions are translucent and mushrooms are browned.
Then, add carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower and cook for 10 minutes, moving these vegetables to the wok's bottom, stirring occasionally.
Next, add the red bell peppers, zucchini, and bok choy last, cooking for an additional 5 minutes, stirring in the last group of vegetables.
Last, add a small amount of sauce, tossing it lightly into the cooked vegetables.
Add a small amount of cooked brown rice (or quinoa) into the bowl or plate base.
Then, add large scoops of vegetables on top of the brown rice.
Sprinkle with black sesame seeds (optional)
- If you do not have access to fresh ingredients, here are some substitutions for swapping out ingredients.
- Replace fresh pineapple with pineapple juice
- No pineapple or pineapple juice? How about using ¼ cup agave or maple syrup instead
- Cornstarch can be swapped for arrowroot powder.
- Use 1 teaspoon of ginger spice instead of fresh ginger
- Use 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder instead of fresh garlic cloves
- Use fresh instead of frozen vegetables to avoid soggy stir-fries.
- Cook brown rice or quinoa in advance and reheat as needed.
- Do not add the stir fry sauce while cooking the vegetables. Instead, wait until right before serving to add the sauce.
- For a gluten-free option, choose Tamari or liquid aminos instead of soy sauce.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 275kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Sodium: 424mg | Potassium: 489mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 233IU | Vitamin C: 282mg | Calcium: 396mg | Iron: 5mg