Chocolate Vegan Pudding
Chocolate vegan pudding is made with sweet potatoes, dates, and other simple ingredients. Refined sugar-free, oil-free, gluten-free, and nut-free, this vegan chocolate pudding recipe is creamy, delicious, and compliant.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Diet: Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 Purple Sweet Potatoes or orange sweet potatoes (yield 2 ½ cups), peeled and cut into equal-sized chunks.
- 2 cups oat milk or plant milk of choice
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 Medjool dates pitted
Peel and cut sweet potatoes into equal-sized chunks.
Place cut and peeled potato chunks in a pot and cover with water.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are soft and can be pierced with a fork.
In the meantime, in a glass measuring cup, boil one cup of water in the microwave and place the pitted dates in the water to soften them for easier blending.
Drain potatoes and allow to cool to the touch
In a food processor or high-speed blender, add ½ cup of plant milk first, followed by the sweet potatoes, pitted dates, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
Process/blend on high.
Add the remaining 1 ½ cups of plant milk.
Process blend again, scraping down the sides with a spatula and blending again until smooth.
Then, transfer the contents of the food processor/blender to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for a few hours to chill.
The mixture will thicken in the refrigerator.
Serve as is, or add a variety of possible toppings.
- Add ½ cup peanut butter to the food processor or blender for peanut butter chocolate pudding.
- Top with fresh raspberries, blueberries, mandarin orange segments, or pineapple
- Put sliced bananas and strawberries for a banana split pudding.
- Sprinkle with Spanish peanut or your favorite nuts.
- Crush peppermint candy for a Christmas treat.
- Toast unsweetened coconut flakes and sprinkle them on top of the pudding.
- Blend fresh cherries in the pudding recipe for cherry pudding.
- Cut the peeled sweet potatoes into equal sizes, so they cook evenly.
- Pour the vegan chocolate pudding into popsicle mold or ice cube trays for a frozen treat.
- If you aren't a chocolate fan, try vegan vanilla pudding.
- Pierce cooked sweet potatoes with a fork to ensure they were thoroughly cooked.
- Larger or smaller potato pieces may vary the cooking time.
Calories: 232kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 82mg | Potassium: 641mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 10899IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 175mg | Iron: 2mg