Jerk tempeh is the perfect blend of sweet and savory. Crispy on the outside and delicate on the inside, jerk tempeh is wonderful in a Caribbean sandwich, wrap, or salad topper. Enjoy the taste of the Caribbean at home.
Servings: 4 servings
- 8 ounces organic tempeh I used Lightlife brand, boiled
OIL-FREE JAMAICAN JERK MARINADE (OR STORE-BOUGHT JERK MARINADE)
- 1 cup white onions coarsely chopped
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers stems and seeds removed; chopped (habaneros can be replaced)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon all-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup soy sauce or Tamari for a gluten-free option
- 1 ½ Tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ inch fresh ginger
PREPARING THE TEMPEH BEFORE COOKING
Remove the tempeh from the package, and cut it in half, making two equal-sized squares.
Then, place the tempeh pieces in a pan and cover with water.
Bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes, and then remove the tempeh from the boiling water to marinate.
JERK TOFU MARINADE
Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender
Blend on high until all is blended
Pour ½ a cup of marinade into a container
Add two pieces of tempeh, followed by more marinade, and then repeat until tofu is covered in marinade.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
GRILLING JERK TEMPEH
Preheat the grill to medium or 400 degrees, and allow to heat completely.
Place the marinated tempeh directly on the grill grate
Cook for 16 minutes, rotating 4 times within the 16 minutes time frame (every 4 minutes)
Remove from the grill and transfer to a cutting board for slicing, or serve as is, allowing your guests to cut their own tempeh steaks
Add it to a salad, slaw, or eat it as a sandwich.
- Boiling removes tempeh’s naturally bitter taste.
- It softens the tempeh to make it easier to eat and enjoy
- And, boiling allows for better saturation of marinate
Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 2213mg | Potassium: 465mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 194IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 3mg