French Lentil Salad
French lentil salad is a cold or hot salad dressed in a tangy dressing with an array of vegetables served on a bed of arugula and topped with vegan tofu feta cheese. This quick and easy lentil salad is perfect for a hot summer night.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 ½ cups cooked brown or green lentils 1 cup dry yields 2 ½ cups cooked
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery finely chopped
- ½ small red onion diced (½ cup)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 3 Tablespoon fresh thyme
Other ingredients (Optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or date syrup
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
Rinse the lentils in a mesh sieve or colander under the cool water, removing any debris or stones; While rinsing, make sure to pick out any sour lentils, debris, or small rocks often found in a bag of lentils.
Add four cups of water per cup of lentils to a pot.
Bring the pot to a boil. Then reduce the heat to simmer, cover, and cook the lentils on simmer for the designated time (based on the type of lentils chosen).
Drain the water from the lentils.
Serve warm or cold depending on the recipe (for this recipe, serve warm or cold; I served it cold).
The cooking time is determined by the types of lentils chosen (see blog post).
Place lentils in a bowl and add the chopped vegetables and herbs.
Stir to combine.
Combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk together.
Pour over the lentil salad and stir.
If serving cold, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
If serving warm, serve immediately.
Place arugula on the base of the plate or in the bowl and form a well in the middle.
Then, add a generous portion of French lentil salad.
Sprinkle with vegan tofu feta cheese.
Arrange cucumbers and tomatoes for garnish.
Salt and pepper as desired.
- Brown, green or black lentils are best. Do not use red lentils for this salad.
- For an easy shortcut, buy lentils already prepared. For example, I use Trader Joe's steamed vacuum-sealed lentils.
- If making an entree salad, add green to the base of the bowl and top with the french lentil salad.
- I suggest adding cucumbers and tomatoes.
- I also enjoy tofu feta cheese on top.
- Although the dressing is not a lot in terms of amount, it goes a long way. You want the salad lightly dressed because the ingredients stand alone in flavor.
- Dress the lentil salad in advance, but do not add the greens when dressing.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 196kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Sodium: 234mg | Potassium: 807mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 3914IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 136mg | Iron: 5mg