Vegan Apple Cider Donut Cake
Welcome fall with this healthy vegan apple cider donut cake! Apple donut cake is a healthy version of a day at the cider mill. This dense bundt cake is oil-free, nut-free, plant-milk-free with a gluten-free option. and topped with fresh, hot cinnamon apples.
Servings: 12 servings
Vegan Apple Cider Donut Cake
- 1 vegan yellow cake mIx oil-free (I used Annie's)
- ¾ cup apple cider
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 flax eggs 3 Tablespooons flaxseed meal + 9 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large Honeycrisp or sweet apple diced (skin on)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup or date syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Extra cinnamon sprinkled for garnish
Apple Cider Cake
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
In a small bowl, combine flaxseed meal and water; place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes, so it thickens.
When the flaxseed eggs are ready, add all the cake ingredients into a large bowl.
Using an electric mixer, mix the ingredients until all ingredients are combined, scraping down the bowl. Do not overmix.
Pour into a non-stick bundt cake pan.
Bake for 35 minutes. Test by placing a toothpick or a fork in the cake to make sure it comes out clean. If using a silicone baking pan, check the cake 5-10 minutes earlier, as many silicone pans tend to bake foods more quickly.
Allow the cake to cool completely before removing the cake from the pan.
Remove the cake by loosening the cake with a spatula down the inside of the sides of the cake.
Flip over by placing a plate on top of the opening portion of the pan, and gently flip over.
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
Turn the stove on medium-low and stir the ingredients gently to keep apple pieces intact.
Stir for about 5-7 minutes until the apples soften and break down.
Remove from heat and spoon onto pieces of cake.
Sprinkle with extra cinnamon.
- A flax egg is a combination of a flaxseed meal and water. For each flax egg, combine 1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal with 3 Tablespoons of water; then place in the refrigerator to thicken for 15-30 minutes.
- Other vegan egg substitutes are apple sauce, bananas, Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Egg Replacement Powder, silken tofu, chia seed egg, and vegan yogurt.
- Make the flax egg first because it takes 15 minutes to set up.
- Store the cake and apple topping separately in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheat the cake (if desired) and apple topping separately.
- Try adding a pinch of salt to teh apple topping for added flavor.
- If serving at brunch, serve with apple cider mimosas with an apple slice dipped in cinnamon and sugar as a garnish for the cocktail.
Calories: 204kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Sodium: 301mg | Potassium: 97mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 14IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 109mg | Iron: 1mg