Hearts of Palm Crab Cakes
If you haven't tried hearts palm as a substitute for flaky crab meat, you are missing out! These hearts of palm crab cakes are crispy on the outside and flaky and delicate on the inside with incredible flavor!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time16 mins
Course: Entrees, Small Bites
Diet: Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 1 14.4 ounce jar of hearts of palm drained
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Dulse flakes
Rinse and drain chickpeas.
Drain hearts of palm.
Add chickpeas and hearts of palm to a food processor, and pulse until chopped and flaky. Do not over pulse.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
Add onions, red bell pepper, bread crumbs, parsley, dulse and Od Bay Seasoning.
In a bowl, add cashew mayo, dijon mustard, and lemon.
Whisk to combine.
Pour contents into the hearts of palm mixture. Stir to combine.
Cover and chill the mixture in the refrigerator, and form the patties later, or form crab cakes using a mold or form with hands and cook immediately.
Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees.
Place formed patties in the air fryer basket not touching each other.
If batch cooking, prepare a baking sheet and preheat an oven to 325 to keep crab cakes warm while cooking other batches.
Cook for 16 minutes, flipping halfway through (8 minutes on each side)
Smaller cakes require less time.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Place crab cakes on the pan, not touching each other.
Cook for 30 minutes (15 minutes each side), making sure to flip them halfway through cooking.
Smaller cakes take less time.
- Hearts of palm is found in the canned/jarred vegetable section of the grocery store. It is generally jarred or canned in water or brine.
- If you don't have a food processor, use a fork to mash chickpeas and chop hearts of palm roughly.
- For a nut-free option, choose the silken tofu or white bean option in the cashew mayo recipe.
- Prepare hearts of crab mixture or form patties up to 1 day in advance of baking or air frying.
- If servings as an appetizer and making smaller crab cakes, reduce the cooking time in half.
- Hearts of palm crab cakes are done when brown and crips on eh outside.
- Consider servings with vegan tartar sauce or mustard dipping sauce.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 117kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 241mg | Potassium: 90mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 116IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 2mg