Vegan Sushi Bowl
If making your own sushi at home sounds daunting, try a vegan sushi bowl. Take all your favorite vegan sushi ingredients and create a fabulous sushi creation at home.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Diet: Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or rice of choice
- 1 cup mame (shelled edamame)
- 1 cup crumbled seaweed, dulse flakes, or sea kelp granules
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1 avocado, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup chopped red cabbage
- ½ cup chopped mango
- 2 Tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- 2 Tablepoons sesame seeds (optional garnish)
Spicy Vegan Mayo Dressing
- ½ cup cashews (or subsitute whie benas or silken tofu for a nut-free option)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon Sririacha (begin with ¼ teaspoon, then tste and add more forpreferred spice level
- 1 Tablespoon Soy sauce or Tamari for a gluten-free option
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
Cook rice according to package instructions
Crumbled seaweed sheets in a food processor
Chop and shred vegetables and fruits
Begin with brown rice in the base of the bowl and add crumbled seaweed.
Add the vegetables, mango, and avocado.
Spicy Vegan Mayo Dressing
Soak cashews overnight or boil for 10 minutes and drain.
Add cashews and remainging ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
Add a small amount of Sriracha and bled with teh ingredients. Taste and add more for to meet your spicy preference.
Serve the dressing on the side.
Sprinkle wth green onions and sesame seeds (of desired)
Add lime wedges to each bowl.
Serve with chop sticks if desired.
- Serve with grilled marinated tofu if desired.
- Cook the rice in advance and reheat it, or serve the bowl cold.
- If you don't like spicy, omit the Sriracha from the dressing recipe for a tasty creamy soy sauce dressing.
- For a nut-free sauce, substitute the cashews for silken tofu or white beans.
- Try mandarine oranges instead of mango if mango isn't in season or you don't like it.
- The bowl can be served hot or cold.
- Buy shelled edamame as a time saver, which is found in the produce section or the frozen vegetable section of the grocery store.
- You do not need to boil or soak the cashews if you have a high-quality blender.
- However, if you do not have a good blender, soak the cashews overnight, or a shortcut is to boil them for 10 minutes and drain them before blending.
Calories: 83kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 0.5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 268mg | Potassium: 150mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2827IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg