Italian Farro is delectable and easy to prep in advance, packed with colorful veggies and tempeh bacon. Tossed in light Italian dressing, this Italian farro recipe is simply a bowl of mealtime sunshine.
Prepare Tempeh bacon in advance, cut into bite-sized pieces.
Prepare the Italian dressing in advance or use balsamic vinegar or a dressing of choice.
Preparing the Farro
Bring 3 cups of vegetable broth to a boil.
Stir in 1 cup of Farro.
Reduce the heat to medium, and cover.
Cook for 25 minutes.
Remove from heat and allow the Farro to sit covered for an additional 5 minutes.
Drain excess fluid from the Farro in a colander or a mesh strainer.
Place the Farro in a container and refrigerate until chilled.
Cooking Italian Farro
In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the garlic and shallots until the shallots are translucent.
Add the mushrooms and cook until brown. If they stick to the pan, use a small amount of vegetable broth or water. I used vegetable broth.
Add the shaved Brussel sprouts and cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring often, until the Brussel sprouts soften.
Now add the chilled Farro. And stir into the other ingredients.
Next, add the cooked tempeh bacon and stir.
Add the juice of ½ of a lemon, and the chopped Italian parsley.
Stir in 1/24cup of Italian dressing and stir. Or, add ¼ cup of Balsamic vinegar or dressing of choice. Stir to combine.
Serve with additional parsley if desired.
Salt and pepper to taste.
- It is important to cook the Farro and transfer it to a refrigerator to chill so it doesn't overcook when added to the other ingredients.
- To shave Brussel sprouts use a hand grater or a food processor, or you can shred them by hand with a knife.
- Or, purchase a bag of pre-shredded Brussel sprouts at the grocery store in the produce section.
- When making tempeh bacon, always boil the tempeh before marinating it. This allows the tempeh to absorb the flavors of the marinade.
- As a shortcut, buy pre-marinated tempeh bacon at the store and cook in advance.
- I used oil-free Italian dressing, but plain balsamic vinegar works well also. Or, choose a dress you enjoy. You only need ¼ cup.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 319kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0.02g | Sodium: 295mg | Potassium: 153mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 22IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 2mg