You will love this quinoa tabbouleh recipe for a different version of traditional tabbouleh salad. This quinoa tabbouleh tastes fresh and nutty with a tangy lemon dressing. And it only takes 15 minutes to prepare!
Prep Time5 minutes mins
Cook Time15 minutes mins
Course: Salad, sides
Diet: Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 1 ½ cups red quinoa or quinoa of choice.
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
Tabbouleh Salad Ingredients
- ¾ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¾ cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 ½ cups English cucumbers, cut in half, then sliced into quarters (bite-sized pieces).
- 1 ½ cups grape tomatoes cut in halves
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
- ½ cup tofu feta cheese (optional)
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Combine water, salt and quinoa into a sauce pan.
Bring contents of the pan to a boil, cover, and reduce to simer.
Cook for 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat source and keep the pan covered for an additoanl 5 minutes.
Allow the quinoa to cool completely, or to expedite the process, transfer the cooked quinoa to a refrigerator to cool.
Preparing the Salad Ingredients
Cut all the vegetables.
In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes (optional). Whisk together.
Place the cold quinoa into a large bowl.
Add all the salad ingredients.
Pour the dressing over the top.
Toss to combine.
Add some tofu feta cheese (optonal)
- Make the quinoa ahead of time, so it has time to cool in the refrigerator.
- Use English or Persian cucumbers, which contain fewer seeds to prevent a soggy salad.
- Grape tomatoes also have fewer seeds, which again helps to keep the salad fresher longer.
- Add tofu feta cheese for an extra protein addition to the salad.
- Or, try adding a can of chickpeas, which also goes very well with the flavors in teh salad.
- The salad will last, dressed, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 59kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 0.4g | Saturated Fat: 0.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 892mg | Potassium: 315mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1780IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 2mg