Mediterranean Farro Salad
Serve warm or cold Mediterranean farro salad as a side dish or entree, or prepare it for the best weekday lunches. This Mediterranean farro salad is a unique version of a vegan Greek salad!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Course: Entrees, Salad, Side Dish
Diet: Vegan, Vegetarian
- 1 cup dry farro, rinsed in cold water
- 2 cups water or 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon Yondu
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 small roasted beets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pint grape tomatoees, cut in halves
- 1 eglish cucumber, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, chopped
- ½ cup banana peppers, sliced thin
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 Tablespoons water
- ½ cup tofu feta cheese
Cooking the Farro
Rinse the farro with cold water in a fine mesh strainer.
In a pot, boil 2 cups of water and 1 Tablespoon of Yondu
Add the rinsed farro.
Return to a boil, and reduce heat to medium to maintain a steady simmer.
Cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
Using the fine mesh strainer, drain the cooked farro a second time.
Trasnfer to a bowl and allow it to cool completely.
Place the cool farro in the refrigerator to chill.
Prepare the Salad Ingredients
Cut all the vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
Drain and rinse chickpeas.
Make and crumble the tofu feta cheese
Assemble the Salad
Place the chilled, cooked farro on a platter as the base of the salad.
Add all the other ingredients layering on top of the farro.
Pour the dressing over the top.
Add tofu feta cheese on top (optional)
- Cook the farro longer for a chewier texture.
- The Mediterranean farro salad will stay fresh for 5 days in the refrigerator dressed.
- Rinse the farro in cold water in a fine mesh strainer before cooking.
- Cook the farro uncovered in water mixed with Yondu or vegetable broth to give it additional flavor.
- Make the farro ahead of time to allow it to cool and chill before making the Mediterranean farro salad.
- Use canned, steamed, or pre-roasted beets as a time saver.
- Because dried herbs are often more potent and concentrated than fresh herbs, you need less. That means the correct ratio is one tablespoon of fresh herbs to one teaspoon of dried herbs.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 42kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.03g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.03g | Sodium: 489mg | Potassium: 72mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 368IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg