Creamy Lentil Soup
Creamy lentil soup is a delicious red lentil soup full of vegetables in a creamy broth. I love this creamy lentil soup recipe because it takes under 20 minutes from the stove to the bowl.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Diet: Diabetic, Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 1 small white onion, diced ½ cup
- 2 stalks celery, diced ½ cup
- 4 carrots, diced 1 1 /2 cups
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 ⅔ cup unsweetened, unflavored plant milk I used oat milk
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup cilantro or parsley, chopped finely
In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, saute the garlic and onion until the onion is translucent.
Add celery and carrots and cook a few more minutes.
Add the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
Now, add the red lentils, coriander, and cumin. Cook for 10 minutes.
Stir in the plant milk, lemon zest and juice, and salt.
Once simmering, remove from the heat and serve with parsley or cilantro garnish.
- Creamy red lentil soup doesn't need to be blended. Red lentils cook quickly and breakdown into the cooked soup, creating a creamy soup.
- When cooking with lentils, I suggest rinsing them and removing stones and debris, sometimes in bags of dried lentils.
- I suggest using a vegetable chopper to cut vegetables the same size for quick and easy chopping.
- Creamy lentil soup freezes well for up to 3 months. I use Souper Cubes for freezing soups, sauces, and stews.
- If you use fresh lemon juice as much as I do, buy lemons in season and juice them. Then, freeze them in ice cube trays or Souper Cubes and have fresh lemon juice all year.
- To reheat frozen soup, allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in a pan on the stove, or in the microwave using the reheat setting.
- If you like a little spice in your lentil soup, sprinkle with dried red pepper flakes.
- For an added creamy component, add some vegan sour cream on top.
Serving: 5g | Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 491mg | Potassium: 439mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 104IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 144mg | Iron: 3mg