All veggie burgers are not created alike, and this chickpea burger is a champion among contenders. In a world dominated by beans and fake meat burgers, this chickpeas burger recipe is in a league of its own.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Course: Entrees, Sandwiches
Diet: Diabetic, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 1 15 ounce can Chickpeas, drained reserve aquafaba
- ⅓ cup vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon aquafaba
- ½ cup vital wheat gluten or see substitutions for a gluten-free option
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs or use gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 4 buns of choice
- 4 Romaine lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices red onion
- 4 Tablespoons secret sauce or sub mustard and ketchup
Mash chickpeas in a food processor by pulsing. Do not over-pulse/mash.
Transfer mashed chickpeas into a large bowl.
Add all the remaining ingredients except for the breadcrumb mixture.
Stir to combine. Place chickpea mixture into the refrigerator and form patties later if food prepping in advance.
Mix 1 cup of breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, and garlic salt in a bowl and set aside.
Form burger patties using a burger press or with your hands.
Then, dip each patty in a flavored sauce or press the plain patties into the breadcrumb mixture to coat the burger patties.
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
Place the chickpea burger patties in the air fryer in a single layer.
Cook for 15 minutes, flipping half way through.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare a baking pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Place burger patties in a single layer on the baking sheet.
Cook for 30 minutes, flipping the patties over halfway through cooking.
Preheat the grill to 400 degrees.
Place burgers on the grill.
Cover the grill and cook for 10 minutes; flip the burgers over and cook for 10 more minutes.
Burger Toppings (optional)
- Do not over-pulse or mash the chickpeas.
- If you don't have a food processor, mash chickpeas with a fork.
- Hearty white beans replace chickpeas in this recipe.
- The breadcrumb mixture outside coating provides a crunchy exterior. Skip this step if you don't want a crunchy exterior.
- Prepare this chickpeas burger recipe plain, or add a flavor by dipping the burger patty in a flavored sauce before adding the exterior breadcrumbs.
- Serve chickpea burgers with secret sauce, tomatoes, red onions, lettuce, and your favorite bun.
- Or, serve the chickpea burger between lettuce leaves and skip the bun.
- Another way to enjoy this chickpea burger recipe is to add it to a pita, on top of a salad, or chopped up inside tacos.
- Freeze patties uncooked for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before cooking unless grilling.
- Frozen patties grill well but require 10 more minutes of cooking time.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 207kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 303mg | Potassium: 118mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 55IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 3mg