Veggie Stuffed Shells
Vegetable stuffed shells are jumbo pasta shells filled with lentils and vegetables in a tangy marinara sauce. Then the jumbo shells are covered in marinara sauce and bake. Top with vegan parmesan cheese for an added bonus.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 yellow onion diced small (yield 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms I used white button mushrooms
- ½ cup yellow zucchini slush diced small
- ½ cup green zucchini diced small
- 15 ounces organic diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 8 ounces organic tomato paste
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 2 ½ cups cooked brown lentils I used Trader Joes 17.6 ounce package of steamed, cooked lentils
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- 1 12 ounce package jumbo pasta shells
- 25 ounces Delallo Fat-free Marinara
- Optional: Vegan Parmesan Cheese
PREPARING THE PASTA
Bring a pot of water to boil with 1 teaspoon salt.
Add pasta shells and cook for 9 minutes.
Drain and run shells under cold water to stop the cooking process
Lay shells opening down on paper towels to dry.
PREPARING THE LENTIL/VEGETABLE FILLING
Add a little vegetable broth to prevent sticking.
Add mushrooms and cool for a few minutes.
Then, add yellow and green zucchini.
Cook on medium-low for 5 minutes
Now add basil and oregano, tomato paste, and roasted tomatoes.
Add lentils and the remaining vegetable broth.
Cook until tomato paste has broken down and the mixture is thick.
Remove from heat
PREPARING THE SHELLS FOR BAKING
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Using a 9x13 inch pan (I used a pyrex glass pan), pour ¼ of the jarred sauce in the pan's bottom and spread a thin layer across the bottom.
Now, using a spoon and your thumb, pack each jumbo shell full of the lentil/veggie filling, making sure to put as much filling as possible in each shell.
Lay each shell, touching the other ones, opening up with the lentil mixture facing up.
Cover the filled shells with the remaining sauce, making sure they are all covered.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes covered before eating
If you have extra filling it can be frozen.
The filling can also be made in advance, and you can stuff the shells when preparing the meal.
Calories: 318kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 0.3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Sodium: 851mg | Potassium: 1044mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1151IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 5mg