Vegan Nicoise Salad
Vegan Nicoise salad combines raw and cooked vegetables with beans, hearts of palm, and greens dressed in an oil-free shallot vinaigrette. Get all your greens, beans, potatoes, and vegetables in this nutrient-dense salad. The shallot vinaigrette is to die for.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 cucumber cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pint tomatoes grape or cherry, cut in sections
- ½ red onion sliced into slivers
- 1 watermelon radish sliced thin, and cut into quarters
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives cut in halves
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- ½ pound baby red potatoes cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ pound green beans trimmed and cut into bite-sized portions
- 15 ounces white beans Cannellini beans or butter beans (1 can)
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 head radicchio chopped
- 7 ounces hearts of palm in brine cut into thin slices
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 shallot
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or date syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
Vegan Nicoise Salad
Place equal-sized, bite-sized pieces of red potatoes in a pan and cover with cold water.
Add 2 teaspoons of salt.
Boil for 5 minutes.
Add green beans and stir into boiling water.
Cook an additional 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and drain in a colander. Run cold water over potatoes and green beans.
Transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
Once cool, drain again.
Chop lettuce and Raddichio and place on a large tray or bowl.
Add the raw vegetables, cooled cooked vegetables, olives, beans, and hearts of palm.
Do not dress until ready to serve.
In a small blender, combine all ingredients.
Blend until smooth.
Cover and place in a refrigerator to chill until ready to serve.
- I'm all about saving time. So, I'm committed if I can use one pan for two different tasks. For instance, it takes 10 minutes to boil baby red potatoes and 5 minutes to blanch green beans.
- Once the potatoes boil for 5 minutes, throw the green beans in the pot for the last 5 minutes. And then cook both at once. Then, drain the potatoes and green beans simultaneously and soak both in ice water to stop cooking.
- As soon as the potatoes and green beans cool, it's time to create the vegan Nicoise salad!
- Try artichoke hearts or cooked asparagus as a substitute for hearts of palm.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 255kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 200mg | Potassium: 2028mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 10318IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 170mg | Iron: 6mg