When the temperatures hit over 110 degrees, Paul and I escape the heat and run away to Flagstaff. Called Flag by locals, Flagstaff is a short 2 hour and 18-minute drive north. Not only are the temperatures 30 degrees cooler in Flag, but vegan eats flood the area. Since we travel to Flagstaff at least once a summer, I planned to visit all my favorite vegan restaurants. Regardless if you’re vegan, omnivore or your significant other isn’t vegan at all; Flagstaff restaurants are so vegan friendly, everyone can enjoy what Flag has to offer.
Although my favorite Flagstaff restaurants probably only touch the vegan fare's surface, we eat very well when visiting Flagstaff.
So, let’s explore the yummy vegan restaurants in Flagstaff if you ever choose to visit.
Where it eat breakfast in Flagstaff, Arizona
My first favorite Flagstaff vegan restaurant is an all-vegan breakfast and lunch spot called Morning Glory
This cute little restaurant serves breakfast and lunch with a special brunch menu on Saturday and Sunday.
- We love their vegan benedict made with savory grilled organic tofu, sprouted English muffins, and vegan “hollandaise” sauce, then serve them with a side of our crispy home-fried potatoes.
- Other favorites are the breakfast burro made with organic grilled tofu scramble or organic pinto beans with crispy organic home-fried potatoes in a giant flour tortilla served enchilada style with housemade red chili sauce, vegan cheese, avocado, fresh veggie garnish, and your choice of two sides.
- All the breakfast fare is served with a choice of two sides. The staff is incredibly attentive and so nice.
- Additionally, their organic blue corn cakes are gluten-free, vegan, and served with berries, bananas, real maple syrup, and two sides.
My next favorite Flagstaff breakfast is The Toasted Owl.
At this little hip breakfast, joint everything is fabulous, down to the mismatched plates and coffee cups to the owl's decor. Although this pace isn't all vegan, it's the perfect place to bring a mixed bunch of food lovers.
Then, flip the menu over and enjoy the vegan choices.
- The vegan apple cinnamon pancake is to die for. The pancake is the size of a dinner plate! So, even if you order another entree, you need to order one pancake to share with the table.
- The BLAT is a vegan version of a BLT made with house-made seitan bacon, lettuce, tomato, and avocado on crunchy toasted Avalon bread. If the BLAT isn't your thing, order the Vegan Burrito, Vegan Egg Breakfast, Happy Trails Salad, or the Vegan Rainbow Burger.
- And, did I mention $3.00 mimosas?
Right down the street is another breakfast gem called Macy's European Coffee House. This tiny little cafe/coffee shop caters to both vegans and vegetarians. And no matter what time of day, people line up around the corner for Macy's fabulous meals.
Are you looking for a vegan latte and a light breakfast? How about Macy's homemade orange scones? Every latte is made with love!
- For oatmeal lovers, try a hearty bowl of whole grain oats, served warm w/ your choice of steamed almond, oat, or coconut milk.
- My favorites, for instance, is another version of a Vegan BLT with Organic tempeh bacon, organic spring mix, Roma tomato, onion & avocado on our homemade toasted whole wheat bread w/ basil mayo.
- Or, Macy's Waffles served Belgian style with real maple syrup.
The Best Lunch and Dinner in Flagstaff
Once lunch rolls around, this is by far one of my favorite Flagstaff vegan restaurants.
Pizza Patio makes the BEST vegan lunch in Flagstaff. Known for its self-service beer station and vegan fare, this cute little spot, off the beaten path, serves up great homemade vegan pizza and other vegan food.
First, select the type of vegan pizza:
- Authentic Chicago Deep Dish
- Italian Thin Crust
- Gluten-free Low-carb Cauliflower Crust
Then, choose from the vegan cheese and meats made in-house.
- Buffalo Mozzarella
- Nacho Cheese
- Creamy Cheddar
- Almond Ricotta
- Goat Cheese
- Italian Sausage
- Burger Crumble
If vegan meat isn't your gig, choose from the variety of vegetable toppings on the menu.
What else is on the vegan menu other than pizza? Get ready!
- Pretzel Bites
- Badass Buffalo Fries
- Cauliflower Wings
- Sampler Platter
- Parm Fries
- Cheddar Fries
- Pizzacota Fries
- Cheddar Mac N Cheesy
- Cookie Pie
Yep; it's all vegan! And the patio is dog friendly too!
Across the railroad tracks and down an alcove off Route 66 is another of my favorite lunch and dinner spots, SoSoba.
As a result, this popular noodle bar is always packed but definitely worth the wait. Both vegan and non-vegan dishes adorn the menu.
- Without a doubt, my favorite vegan dish is the SUV (So... you're vegan) made with rice noodles, seasonal fresh roasted vegetables, sauteed greens, Ryu; in a mild vegan curry, I wanted to lick the bowl.
- Or, try the Sweet Chili Tofu, which is marinated fried tofu tossed in a sweet chili glaze served over a bed of greens.
- Vegetarian Udon Noodles are cooked in a sweet chili glaze, with tofu, ponzu salad, broccoli, carrot, radish, onion, and sesame seeds.
- Mothra: Rice noodles, green curry, broccoli, marinated fried tofu, peas, bok choy, mint, Thai basil, fried garlic.
- Seaweed Salad Wakame tossed with wood ear mushrooms and sesame seed.
Another one of my favorite Flagstaff vegan restaurants is located right off San Fransisco street is an all-vegan Thai restaurant called Red Curry Vegan. This all-vegan Thai restaurant offers something for everyone.
- From egg-free veggie rolls to a wide variety of spicy curries made with coconut milk to the traditional Pad Thai, their authentic Thai cuisine is cooked and served fresh and entirely vegan.
A seasoned Flagstaff restauranteur, Red Curry founder, and chef Suchhada Tirakul, knows both good food and how to make you feel right at home.
The warm atmosphere reflects her vibrant menu, while a wide array of appetizers, soups, salads, curries, and rice and noodle dishes will whisk you away to the streets and markets of Phuket.
Although not an all-vegan restaurant, Pato Thai Cusine offers two tofu versions (steamed or fried) as a choice with every dish served. Or, skip the tofu and order double veggies. Busy both day and night, this tasty Thai restaurant is a must-try on Route 66.
- Famous for their curries, noodles, and rice, vegan dishes are available; remember to skip the egg. My personal favorite is the Pad Thai with Tofu ). Skip the egg.
What else is vegan on the menu? Almost everything
Curries: Order with steamed or fried tofu
- Red Curry
- Green Curry
- Yellow Curry
Noodles: (skip the egg)
- Pad Thai
- Ka, Kua Noodle
- Spicy Noodle
- Spicy Spaghetti Noodle
Rice: (skip the egg)
- Thai Fried Rice
Lotus Lounge: This beautiful upscale sushi restaurant is attached to the Monte Vista Hotel. This two-story restaurant offers a large circular bar, a wraparound sushi bar, and tables on the first and second floors.
- For happy hour we love to munch on the Veggie Tempura, Roasted Brussel Sprouts, and Veggie Egg Rolls.
- Also, we love their vegan sushi rolls: Lotus Vegan Roll, Sho Jin Vegan Roll, as well as their Cucumber and Avocado rolls.
- If sushi isn't your thing, the Roasted Squash Curry is yummy. This dish comes with brown beech mushrooms, bok choy, cabbage scallions, and cashews in coconut curry served over rice.
Cornish Pasty Company: Also located in Tempe and Phoenix, the Cornish Pasty Company offers vegan pasties on its menu. This particular Flagstaff location has a huge patio, which is also dog friendly.
What Kind of Vegan Pasties do they offer?
- Oggie: portobellos, potatoes, rutabaga, and onions served with ketchup and house prepared (HP) sauce
- Cubano: house mojo jackfruit, vegan ham, vegan cheese, dill pickles, and yellow mustard.
- Pot Pie: portobello mushrooms, red potatoes, carrots, green beans, celery in a creamy vegan rosemary gravy.
- Guinness Stew: portobello mushrooms simmered in a vegan Guinness gravy, with red potatoes, onion, and celery, layered with vegan cheese, sauteed leeks, and cabbage served with chive tahini sauce.
- Daily Vegan Pasty Specials: two different rotating pasties that vary from one visit to the next
- What's my favorite? The vegan pot pie pasty for sure! But, you need to try all the unique flavors, so bring a vegan friend.
Pizzicletta: Located next to Mother Road Brewery is s cool little pizza joint that makes an incredible vegan pizza with homemade cashew ricotta cheese.
Even though the vegan pizza is the only vegan dish on the menu, this incredible wood-fired pizza is fabulous. Remember, however, the restaurant doesn't open until 5, so save this gem for dinner.
Shift: Kitchen and Bar: This upscale restaurant caters to foodies. Their excellent vegan food, such as pickled french fries, tofu, and shishito peppers, are just some of the goodies on the rotating menu. Orr, the chef, prepares on-demand dishes for vegan customers.
- Since the menu continually changes, the vegan dishes are always a surprise. One time, we enjoyed the crispy chickpeas, which melted in our mouths.
- Another time, the chef prepared roasted cauliflower in a pepper vinaigrette.
Because Shift is small yet elegant, reservations fill up quickly. So, be sure to get a reservation before arriving in town.
Flagstaff Hidden Finds
Mother Road: A famous local brewery, Mother Road is my husband’s favorite beer stop in town. This quaint place has an expansive wrap-around dog-friendly patio.
Recently renovated, Mother Road now has an additional bar outside on the patio and a food truck, making a mean veggie burger from the local Nex Veg Patty.
Nex Veg Patty is made locally in Flagstaff and served at most Flagstaff Restaurants
Locally made and manufactured, the Nex Veg Patty is a plant-based burger offered in almost every restaurant in town. However, Mother Road prepares the best veggie burger in the city. This 100% whole food, 100% plant-based, comprises whole vegetables, legumes, grains, and clean spices and free of common allergens.
Additionally, it contains no wheat or gluten, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, animal products, yeast, or ingredients with a potential GMO source, sesame, mustard, chemicals, or artificial preservatives.
- As a bonus, Mother Road offers Nex Veg Sliders to share.
Further into town is a great coffee shop with vegan treats called Late For the Train.
- If you love coffee or tea, this coffee place has an incredible new backyard patio to hang out and visit or work.
- And if you want a little snack, they offer local baked vegan donuts and pastries: vegan zucchini bread or oatmeal coconut cookies.
- The vegan treats rotate, so there’s always a surprise waiting in the baked goods section.
On the other side of the train tracks, we found a fantastic coffee house called Val's Coffee Louge.
When it started to rain, we ran for refuge and found this fancy coffee lounge. What was most interesting about this fantastic new place was the concept; coffee and work lounge upfront, a hair salon in the back!
Sweet Shop Candy Store: In the back of this brightly colored candy shop full of goodies, I found vegan chocolate gelato.
Of course, it tasted phenomenal.
So, the next time you head up north, check out the fabulous vegan fare at Flagstaff's best restaurants!
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂