What's my vice? French fries are my arch-nemesis. Even though I love french fries, I don't eat them because of the oil they fry in and the other added ingredients in restaurant french fries. In an attempt to make the perfect crispy air-fryer steak fries recipe, I figured out the secret.
Despite many attempts to use my air-fryer, I, unfortunately, couldn't get the french fries as crispy as I like them on the outside. In my opinion, the perfect steak fry is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
WHAT'S THE SECRET TO PERFECTLY STEAK FRIES THAT ARE AIR-FRIED AND CRISPY?
First, parboiling the potatoes for 6 minutes allows for the seasoning you choose to stick. Contrary to the air-fryer cookbook, which suggests soaking the potatoes for 30 minutes before cooking, 6 minutes is perfect!
Secondly, the steak fries seem to cook more evenly when they are parboiled. Actually, I parboil the potatoes and run them under cold water until they are room temperature. Then, I place them in a ziplock back with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt. Then, shake and bake.
Another bonus to parboiling is if you plan to marinate your fries with BBQ sauce or your sauce of choice, you can do it ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator before cooking. Of course, you don't need to marinate unless you prefer the steak fries have a specific flavor, like malt vinegar.
HOW TO AIR-FRY STEAK FRIES IN AIR-FRYER IS QUICK AND EASY
Now that I figured out how to make the perfect air-fried steak fries, I am starting to love my Airfryer. In fact, I can have french fries whenever I want without any oil or added calories! And, air-frying steak fries is easy!
- Cut potatoes each potato in half, then in 6 equal wedges
- Cover in cold water and 1 teaspoon salt in a pan
- Bring to a boil; boil for 6 minutes
- Drain potatoes in a colander and rinse in cold water until potatoes are room temperature.
- Combine spices in a large ziplock bag.
- Add drained potatoes
- Shake; place in the refrigerator in the sealed bag until ready to cook.
- Air fry at 400 degrees for 30 minutes
- Remove pan from the air fryer 15 minutes in.
- Shake the pan, and add any additional seasoning you may like, if any.
- Cook 10 more minutes
- Mix ketchup and sriracha.
OTHER WAYS TO USE STEAK FRIES IS YOU ARE CRAVING HEALTHY JUNK FOODI alsoI use my air-fried steak fries to add some yummy vegan chili and guacamole, or your favorite toppings. For example, my Skinny AF Loaded Chili Fries recipe is made with air-fried steak fries. Print this Air Fryer Steak Fries Recipe.
ARE YOU A POTATO LOVER LIKE ME? IF SO, HERE ARE SOME OTHER POTATO RECIPES
- Skinny AF Sweet Potato Fries
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Baked Potato
- Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potato
- Sweet Potato Tacos
- Potato Leek Soup
- Sweet Potato Tacos
- Vegan Breakfast Potatoes
- Skinny Vegan Potato Skins
- Taco Tuesday Skinny Potato Tacos
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂