When my husband asked if I could make healthy fried mushrooms, I immediately thought of my air-fryer. So, I decided to make fried mushrooms in the air fryer, healthy and vegan. Air-fried mushrooms, in fact, are quite easy to make, yet they taste amazing. Then, I opted to dip them in Vegan Ranch Dressing, just how restaurants serve fried mushrooms. So, not only are air fryer, fried mushrooms tasty, but also low in calories.
How to choose mushrooms for air-fried mushrooms
First, I chose organic baby Bella mushrooms, and I looked for the smallest ones I could find. Since I wanted to cook bite-sized air-fried mushrooms, choosing small mushrooms made the most sense. But, this recipe also works with larger mushrooms as well.
Although people suggest only wiping away debris on mushrooms instead of washing them, I chose to wash them. Because I dredged the mushrooms in plant milk first, washing them seemed harmless and a cleaner option.
Once cleaned, prepare three different shallow bowls for the breading.
When choosing mushrooms, make sure the caps are firm without blemishes. Avoid mushrooms with brown spots or a slimy exterior. For instance, the freshest mushrooms contain a firm exterior. Also, look for mushrooms of similar size, so they cook evenly.
How to prepare breaded mushrooms for the air-fryer
To prepare the mushrooms, gather the following materials in three separate shallow bowls:
- Bowl 1: Plant Milk of Choice: I prefer oat milk for its creaminess, but any unsweetened, unflavored plant milk works.
- Bowl 2: Flour of Choice: I used gluten-free garbanzo flour. I prefer this type of flour because it's outstanding in texture.
- Bowl 3: Corn Meal, Bread Crumbs, and Nutritional Yeast: Although I make my own bread crumbs, any bread crumbs suffice.
For this air-fried mushroom recipe, I left the stems on the mushrooms to make a handheld appetizer. To prepare the mushrooms, dredge each mushroom into the plant milk, then the flour, back to the plant milk, and lastly, the bread crumb mixture.
How to cooked breaded mushrooms in an air-fryer
- Whenever I use the air-fryer, I always spray water in the base instead of oil so my food doesn't stick.
- Always cook in batches, filling the base in a single layer, not overlapping the mushrooms.
- Check the food every few minutes, and once half cooked, toss around, so the mushrooms cook evenly.
- Keep cooked batches warm by placing a towel or aluminum fold over the mushrooms or place on a cookie sheet in a preheated 200-degree oven.
Now, cook the mushrooms at 370 degrees for 8 minutes, check every few minutes, and toss halfway through cooking.
- Please note, however, the time may vary depending on the size of the mushrooms. For example, I chose small mushrooms, which required 8 minutes, but larger mushrooms may take longer to cook.
- Another factor in cooking time varies due to the type of air-fryer, so always check the food as it cooks to avoid overcooking and undercooking.
Let's not forget the dip?
As a general rule, my family loves Vegan Ranch Dressing, but several other dipping options taste fabulous with this air-fried mushroom recipe.
- Mustard Dipping Sauce
- Romesco Sauce
- Healthy BBQ Sauce
- Lemon Basil Dressing
- Maple Dijon Dressing
- Miso Tahini Dressing
- Vegan Southwest Dressing
- Thousand Island Dressing
- French Dressing
What ingredients are in vegan ranch dressing?
- Raw cashew pieces
- Rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar I like rice vinegar.
- Lemon juice
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Fresh dill, chopped
- Parsley, chopped
Regardless of the dip chosen, these bite-sized crunchy, savory mushrooms are to die for! So, if you're craving savory fried mushrooms, try my healthy air-fried mushroom recipe.
How many calories are in air-fried mushrooms?
- 177 calories and only 1 gram of fat. That compared to 590 calories in typical fried mushroom recipes.
How long do I cook fried mushrooms in the air fryer?
- 8 minutes for small baby Bella mushrooms; increase time for larger mushrooms
What is the best air-fryer?
- I love my GoWise Air-fryer; it's easy to use, clean, and the perfect size for storing.
How do you make your own breadcrumbs?
- Toast two pieces of Dave's bread, place in a mini-food processor, or crumble with hands.
I don't have an air fryer; can I bake them?
- Yes. Oven instructions are provided in the recipe.
IF YOU LOVE CRUNCHY SNACKS, CHECK OUT THESE FAVORITE RECIPES
- Vegan Zucchini Fries
- Crunchy Baked Zucchini Coins
- Steak Fries Crispy Air Fryer Steak Fries Recipe
- Sweet Potato Chips
- Oven-Baked Fries Perfect Crispy Oil-Free and Garlic
- AF Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fried Chickpeas
- Baked Sweet Potato Vietnamese Loaded French Fries
- Baked Onions Rings
- Portobello Fries
Hi! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher & vegan enthusiast and blogger. My entire blog is fully plant-based vegan. I truly believe what we eat & how we live determines our health & the preservation of our planet! 🙂