Since becoming plant-based, I have enjoyed a variety of burritos. In fact, the best vegan lentil burrito I have ever eaten, other than in my home, was in Newport Beach, California. Of course, I have tried to replicate the infamous California burrito many times to no avail. But, after many attempts, and I finally mastered the best ultimate lentil black bean burrito ever!
Throughout my quest for the ultimate burrito, the key was simplicity. Although I mastered the filling, my problem was with the sauce and flavor combination.
Once I mastered the combination, the rest was a breeze. Using my Skinny Nacho Cheese Sauce a nut-free avocado cilantro lime dressing, and simple Sriracha, the sauce combination came together.
THE SKINNY NACHO CHEESE SAUCE IS ALL PLANT-BASED WITHOUT ANY NUTS
Although I love savory food, I managed to maintain the integrity of my health goal by not using any oil and making my cheese from potatoes and carrots. Without a doubt, this is the best Skinny Nacho Cheese Sauce for a variety of recipes.
- Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Vegan Guilt-Free Potato Nachos A Game Day Treat!
- Tater Tot Nachos
- Vegan Breakfast Burrito
- Easy Cheesy No Oil Hash Brown Casserole
- Skinny & Cheesy; Spinach Artichoke Dip; Fat-Free and Fabulous
WHAT VEGETABLES ARE IN THE VEGAN BLACK BEAN BURRITO RECIPE?
First, I used my favorite vegetable chopper, to chop the vegetables using the small blade. Because I wanted my vegetables diced small, I used the chopper so I could save time.
- White onion
- Red Bell Pepper
Once the vegetables are diced small, I saute them first BEFORE adding any of the other ingredients.
WHAT ELSE IS IN THE LENTIL BURRITO FILLING?
In order to make a hearty and tasty filling, the lentil burrito needs to be cooked it stages or steps for it to get thick and delicious.
THE BURRITO FILLING:
- 2 cups, cooked lentils Brown or Green Lentils ( or 1 bag BOCCA Crumbles)
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed (or pinto beans)
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves, minced garlic
- 1 packet Chili Seasoning Packet
- 1 can Organic Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 Red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Jalapeno, diced (leave seeds in for mega spice; remove seeds if you prefer a more mild flavor)
- 1 can Vegan Refried Beans, heated separately
After the garlic, onions, and jalapenos are cooked through, add the cooked lentils (or alternative meat of choice). Then add the tomatoes, and chili seasoning.
Next, add the black beans (pr pinto beans) and heat together. As the moisture from the vegetable dissipates, the mixture will become thicker. Then, remove for the heat.
Although my Cuisinart Panini Maker is my favorite sandwich maker, you can also grill your burrito on the stovetop in a pan, or on an outdoor grill. The Lentil burrito is one of those purposes. A crunchy burrito is perfect to maintain the structure of the burrito while assuring it doesn’t get soggy. No one likes a soggy burrito.
HOW TO FILL AND ROLL THE LENTIL BURRITO FOR GRILLING
- Lay the burrito on a flat surface
- Place the filling in the middle
- Then, tuck in the top and roll tightly, keeping the filling inside the tortilla
Next, drizzle with some additional cheese sauce; it’s made of veggies after all.
As I said, I prefer my Cuisinart Panini Maker, but a skillet works just as well. If using a Cuisinart Panini Maker, preheat to medium heat, and place the burritos directly on the grill surface and close the top.
Depending on your choice of cooking methods, it takes approximately 10 minutes on each side. If you plan to use a skillet, heat to medium-low, and check often, as the stovetop method is quicker.
WHAT IS IN THE SECRET SAUCES FOR THE LENTIL BURRITO?
AVOCADO LIME SAUCE:
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 cup, tightly packed Cilantro
- 4 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1/2 cup Water
PICO DE GALLO:
- 12, sliced Grape Tomatoes
- 1, diced Red Onion
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 2, deseeded, sliced Jalapeno
In order to drizzle the sauces, since the presentation is important, I put the avocado dressing in a plastic squeeze bottle. The cheese sauce, on the other hand, went in a glass dressing dispenser, because of its temperature. The Sriracha is self-explanatory; drizzle with ease. We love it hot, but use sparingly is you are new to the hot experience.
My husband LOVED this burrito. He said nothing during dinner because he ate diligently without a word. All I heard was “Oh my God; this is good.” That is how you convert a carnivore into a happy vegan.
DO YOU LOVE MEXICAN FOOD AS MUCH AS I DO? CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES…
- Vegan Chili Recipe
- Mexican Lasagna
- Mexican Street Corn & Vegan!
- Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Vegan Enchiladas
- Green Plant-Based Potato and Kale Enchiladas
- Vegan White Bean Chili
- Crockpot Butternut Squash Pinto Bean Chili
- Skinny Chili & Cheese Dip
- Chili and Lime Roasted Red Potatoes
- Crockpot Three-Bean Mega Veggie Chili
- Tater Tot Nachos
- Mushroom & Chorizo Tacos
- Skinny Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with Avocado-Cilantro Cream