One of the easiest and most beautiful brunch meal I make is a vegan quiche. Mediterranean vegan quiche recipe, for instance, tastes as good as it looks! With the right combination of ingredients, the flavors are incredibly savory in this vegan quiche recipe. Not only is this quiche simple to make, but you also have a variety of options with different fillings, crusts, as well as sizes to choose from.
Although I chose a gluten-free crust, it is possible to make this vegan quiche crustless as well. For a quick option, buy a vegan crust at the store. Whole Foods, and Sprouts, for instance, both carry a vegan frozen crust in their frozen food section.
Or you can use a mini muffin pan, to make individual appetizers or a larger muffin cup for easy to heat breakfasts during the week.
Despite choosing to use Mediterranean flavors, any combinations of vegetables and flavors can transform your quiche. Actually, just use the base tofu mixture and add the ingredients you want.
WHAT’S IN THIS FABULOUS VEGAN QUICHE RECIPE?
For instance, when I made this particular vegan quiche recipe, I chose to focus on some of my favorite flavors:
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 3 Tablespoons Chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium, sweet onion chopped or 2 cups
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (dry in the package not packed in oil)
- 8 ounces, sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Kalamata Olives, chopped
OTHER POSSIBLE IDEAS FOR VEGAN QUICHE RECIPES
Another option would be to use:
- Coconut bacon
Yet, I also enjoy:
- Fresh spinach
- Red onion
In order to make the most delicious vegan quiche recipe, just choose your favorite combinations of flavors.
In order to achieve the savory component of this quiche, I chose kalamata olives and sun-dried tomatoes. Furthermore, using onions and garlic with the mushrooms provides the “meaty” texture.
HOW TO MAKE THE INSIDE OF THE VEGAN QUICHE RECIPE…
- Boil 1 cup of water and add the sun-dried tomatoes (set aside while you prepare the other vegetables) This softens the sun-dried tomatoes to make them easier to cut and cook
- In a large sauté pan, sauté onions and mushrooms until the onions are translucent, and mushrooms are browned. Add a little vegetable broth if sticking occurs.
- Add chopped red pepper and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add a little water or vegetable broth to prevent sticking.
- Drain and chop sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes to sauté pan and stir until combined
- Remove from heat
- Using a food processor: add tofu, nutritional yeast, chickpea flour, salt and pepper
- Process until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine tofu mixture and fold in sautéed vegetables
- Add chopped olives
- Pour into pre-baked crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Let quiche cool for 10 minutes before cutting into pieces.
- Drizzle with Tahini Sauce (optional)
WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS IN THE VEGAN QUICHE CRUST?
As said earlier, there are different options for the crust. If you are in a hurry, for instance, a frozen crust works just as well for this vegan quiche recipe.
For this recipe, however, I made my own crust, which is both oil-free and gluten-free:
- 1 ¼ cup Fine Almond Flour (I used Bob Mills)
- ⅓ cup Tapioca Starch (I used Bob Mills)
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Flax + 5 Tablespoons Water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
HOW TO MAKE AN OIL-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE VEGAN QUICHE CRUST
- First, combine flax meal and water in a small bowl and stir.
- Leave it for 5-10 minutes until it is thick.
- In the meantime, whisk the dry ingredients together: Almond Flour, Tapioca Flour, and Salt together in a medium to a large bowl.
- Add in the thickened Flax, and mix until dough ball forms. You will need to use your hands.
- The dough should be damp but not stick to your fingers (if it is too sticky, add a little more almond flour but not too much)
- Place the ball of dough between 2 sheets of wax paper, and roll the dough out with a rolling pin until it becomes wide enough to cover the base of your pie tin.
- Peel off the top layer of wax paper, and gently place your pie tin on top of the dough.
- Flip the tin over, and remove the other sheet of wax paper, which should now be on top.
- Use your fingers to press the dough evenly into the pie tin (it should be damp, but not sticky). Poke several holes in the dough using a fork.
- Place the pie tin in the freezer for 30 minutes; during this time, turn the oven on to 400F.
- Cover the dough and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 357 degrees
- Uncover, then cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Now, add your filling.
MAKING THE TAHINI DRIZZLE FOR VEGAN QUICHE RECIPE
Finally, the tahini drizzle brings the whole vegan quiche recipe together with a touch of lemony yum.
- 1/8 cup Tahini
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Once the quiche is cooked, it is important to let it set up for at least 10 minutes before you cut it. As a result, your quiche will stay together and not fall apart. In addition, you can keep the quiche refrigerated for 5 days and reheat in the microwave or oven. Furthermore, you can also freeze the vegan quiche for use at a later time.
Although I prepared vegan quiche recipe for brunch, it makes a fabulous dinner entre as well.
IF YOU LOVE THIS VEGAN QUICHE RECIPE, YOU SHOULD TRY THESE BREAKFAST IDEAS
- Vegan Breakfast Casserole
- Vegan Breakfast Potatoes
- Vegan Breakfast Tacos
- Vegan Breakfast Burrito
- Vegetable Frittata
- Skinny Southwestern Tofu Scramble
- Skinny Veggie Tofu Scramble
- Chickpea Omelette